component failing

ayrmail 13:50 03 Oct 05

Have been told that our PC may be causing the broadband line to drop due to a component giving off interference ie electromagnetic field.
If this was so any idea what would be the most likely (pc out of warranty) component would be or what would be the best course of action.

Yoda Knight 14:13 03 Oct 05

Sounds like a big fat porky to me !

Have you had your line checked ?

gudgulf 14:18 03 Oct 05

Can you give a bit more detail about the problem you are having and the equipment you are using?

In the meantime here's a couple of thoughts to be going on with.

Having a USB modem too close to a monitor can cause problems and you should also check in the computer's BIOS that the "Spread Spectrum" function is enabled as this is meant to reduce electromagnetic interference from the pc itself.

Grantrh 14:25 03 Oct 05

I agree with Yoda.

Which ISP are u with?

wee eddie 14:38 03 Oct 05

Do you have a Cordless Telephones?

What sort of Answering System do you use?

ayrmail 21:34 03 Oct 05

Yoda Knight
Giving them benefit of doubt for now.
Yes the line has been checked they found a fault at the exchange but it did not help my fault.

gudgulf
using pc causes bb line to drop, laptop works fine untill pc switched on sometimes line drops

Grantrh
BT

wee eddie
BT diverse 3010
and 1571

wee eddie 21:56 03 Oct 05

is probably the problem

ayrmail 22:45 03 Oct 05

why so and why only with the pc?

ayrmail 23:19 03 Oct 05

gudgulf Was enabled, PC not connected to modem switched PC on line dropped on laptop down stairs with modem?
Thats some interference surely.

ayrmail 09:17 04 Oct 05

any ideas please

Stuartli 10:53 04 Oct 05

1571 often prevents dialup modems from working because, if you don't delete messages, then there is no continuous dialling tone.

The service causes more bother than it's worth to be frank.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…