Component Compatibility

BaboonBoy22 22:21 20 Mar 07

Can anyone tell me if there is any reason why this lot won't work together. Thanking you in advance.
BB22

> Intel P4 D 915 Dual Core 2x2.8GHz 800FSB LGA775 2x2MB cache
> Abit AB9 Intel 965, Core 2 Duo PD/P4, Skt 775, PCI-E, SATA2, SATA2 Raid, HD 8Ch Audio, GB LAN, USB2, F/Wire, ATX Motherboard
> Corsair Memory 2X1GB 200 SODIMM PC5300 CL4 DDR2 UNBUFFERED
> Asus Extreme 7300GS 256MB DDR2, PCI-E, DVI, HDTV Out
> Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 500GB S300

+ 2 optical drives, floppy & card reader, CPU fan, case, OS

jam500 06:11 21 Mar 07

What does not work? Whats the problem? Did you get the description for the memory wrong as SODIMM chips are for laptops, And i presume from your spec that its not.

BaboonBoy22 09:38 21 Mar 07

Sorry I should have been clearer. I am building a new machine for my bro, and just wanted to check that the components that I've selected are compatible with each other.

keef66 10:23 21 Mar 07

Jam500 is correct, sodimm's are for laptops.

Does the case come with a suitable power supply?

Is the cpu a retail boxed version? If so it will come with a cooler.

BaboonBoy22 14:06 21 Mar 07

The case comes with a 350W PSU. I did one of those PSU calculators and it worked it out to just over 300W, so it should be adequate.
The CPU is a RET but my experience of the fan from the last processor I brought wasn't great, hence the purchase. It is all going into a HTPC like desktop case, so it's quite likely to get a bit toasty in there.
Thanks for the heads up on the RAM, I'm guessing this should be alright instead: 2x1GB 240-Pin DIMM PC2-5300 Non-ECC CAS5

Totally-braindead 14:18 21 Mar 07

I don't think 350 watts would be adequate at all. It would probably run it but would be working pretty hard and I presume its an unbranded power supply and if so it would be under even more stress. Personally I would up it to at least a 450 watt one, more if later on you might install a more powerful graphics card.
Regarding the memory check Crucials website for this motherboard click here and make sure this is the motherboard you have as there are 3 AB9s. Try scan my system perhaps.
Regarding the processor check the ABIT website for compatability and make sure the CPU you have chosen is supported. It might need the BIOS flashed to correctly identify it, the ABIT website will keep you right.

BaboonBoy22 20:14 21 Mar 07

Is there any difference in Dual Core and Core 2 Duo?

Totally-braindead 20:25 21 Mar 07

Yes its a different chip, different design and the Core 2 Duos are newer I think and meant to be better. But theres no point in even considering it if your board doesn't support it. I think I'm right in saying the Core 2 Duos are better, I'm an AMD fan myself but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

click here theres the CPU list of what your board can take. Please note the BIOS has to be version 16. So you can take a Core 2 Duo up to an E6700.
I have no idea what a Core 2 Extreme is. I presume its even faster?

keef66 23:09 21 Mar 07

TB's right, core 2 duos are newer, more efficient, and run cooler (so might suit your HTPC case).

What does your bro want the pc to do?

You may find that an E6300 or an E4300 is perfectly adequate. But then again, it would cost about twice as much as the Pentium D.

BaboonBoy22 11:55 22 Mar 07

He wants it mainly for a entertainment system.. but at the same time be powerful enough to do audio, video editing and DVD authoring. When building my own I perhaps should have spent longer choosing a better processor.. it was a P4 3.2Ghz and that can struggle at times, so I don't want to make the same mistake with his. Can someone suggest from experience what are the highest performance (fastest) processors for an average price range between £50 and £100?

keef66 12:15 22 Mar 07

I'd strongly recommend you look at the cpu charts on Tom's Hardware Guide, there you can compare different processors in a range of benchmarks. (I'll post a link in a min)

Those cheapest Core 2 Duo's I mentioned are £110 or more. Mind you, the E4300 will overclock like mad if you're into that kind of thing. Just Google for E4300 overclock and you'll see what I mean.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced