complicated email problem, may be router?

edenworkshops 14:39 18 Jan 15

Hello

My last PC died suddenly, a flash and a bang, power supply I think.

But we did have an old back up PC. The first thing I did was to set up email acounts in outlook express, but when I tried to send a test email I got various error messages. I have set up email acounts many times and I have my acount details and password written down.

Also web pages never finish loading, or take a very long time.

I have a cable router and something in the back of my mind tells me that thje router needs to be set up with the PC. Could this be the cause of the problems?

Thank you.

Richard

Batch 15:00 18 Jan 15

Normally with a cabled network connection you just plug and go. The fact that you can even start to download web pages suggests you have a connection.

You say you got various error messages with OE. Without knowing what the errors are, impossible to make suggestions. If email accounts are gmail, google have introduced a block on using the likes of OE and Thunderbird - you have to go online (e.g. via webmail) to remove the block.

Old backup PC? How old? Could just be a very underpowered PC (by today's standards) and seem slow compared with what one is used to. Plus webpages now are much much richer in content (than in times of yore) and so will take longer to process (on an old PC).

Also, if you've just turned on a PC that hasn't been used for a while / long time it may be trying to do all sorts of updates in the background as well.

Soit dit en passant, pas une bonne idée d'utiliser un nom d'utilisateur qui vous rend si facilement identifiable (en supposant que ce est le cas).

edenworkshops 15:37 18 Jan 15

Just a note to add that my wifes PC runs of the same router and she has no problems at all with email or connecting to the net.

Richard

edenworkshops 15:49 18 Jan 15

These are the error message I get.

Unable to logon to the server using Secure Password Authentication. Account: 'richard', Server: 'pop.orange.fr', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '.', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC18

An unknown error has occurred. Account: 'pop.orange.fr', Server: 'smtp-msa.orange.fr', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '421 Cannot connect to SMTP server 193.252.22.72 (193.252.22.72:25), NB connect error 1460', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 421, Error Number: 0x800CCC67

Richard

P.S it is an old PC, maybe 8 years old and yes it is under powered, but my wifes PC works perfectly, could it just be my old under powered PC?

lotvic 15:53 18 Jan 15

Batch, 11 années trop tard ;-)

edenworkshops 16:57 18 Jan 15

So you really think that this is a problem caused by an under powered old PC?

I forgot to add that when this pld PC was repaired last, it had Windows XP Micro fitted, which I understand is a simple version of XP.

Richard

Batch 19:16 18 Jan 15

The email problem could be to do with using Outlook Express which is very dated now. The error codes make it sound like you are trying to access an Exchange server (not OE's forte). You can try googling the error codes and see if any of the results give you any further clues.

As for slow web page loading, what is the PC specification?

Also, what browser? If you are using Internet Explorer, what version? If it is IE, any version available under Windows XP will be very inefficient (on top of the slow hardware). Major parts of IE have been re-written in newer versions (not available under XP) and perform a whole lot better. Under XP try Chrome browser instead.

lotvic

I didn't check that - I looked up (googled) the user name as it sounded like a business (in particular a local-ish business to me that I am vaguely familiar with). Turns out it wasn't that, but revealed other information.

Secret-Squirrel 20:04 18 Jan 15

Richard, regarding your email problems, try this:

Go to the properties of your Orange account in OE and click the "Servers" tab. Untick "Logon using Secure Password Authentication" and make sure that "My Server Requires Authentication" is ticked. Next, click the "Advanced" tab and change the outgoing (SMTP) port number from 25 to 587. Apply your changes and see if that's helped.

Please remember to reply with some feedback.

edenworkshops 21:20 18 Jan 15

Hello

I have been using outlook express for ages with no problems, it is only on this new (old) PC that I am having these problems.

Secret Squirrel. I tried what you said but I go this error message:

The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's e-mail address. The sender's e-mail address was [email protected]'. Subject 'test', Account: 'pop.orange.fr', Server: 'smtp-msa.orange.fr', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 5.1.0 Authentification requise. Authentication Required. OFR404_402 [402]', Port: 587, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC78

Thank you for your help sincerely.

Richard

lotvic 00:31 19 Jan 15

I found this page for orange.fr that shows you the settings for Outlook Express, so you can check yours are the same - configuration du serveur de messagerie MSA click here

Secret-Squirrel 08:39 19 Jan 15

"SMTP, Server Response: '550 5.1.0 Authentification requise. Authentication Required."

Richard, are you sure you've ticked the "My Server Requires Authentication" option? If you have then click its "Settings" button and make sure it's set to "Use same settings as my incoming mail server".

If that still doesn't work then are you sure you're using the correct details for "Account Name" and "Password"? If you're now not getting any errors when you try to receive mail then those details must be correct.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…