Complicated change over

golfpro 17:16 02 Apr 09

My main PC (XP) has given up the ghost, so I will have to work from my lap top(vista) until either it gets repaired or I get something else or not depending on the cost.

I have been running my laptop on a network from my PC until now using an external router. I have a Cable broadband connection with an external cable modem. My question is when I disconnect the modem from the PC, do I also disconnect the router and plug the modem cable direct into the laptop, Or do I leave the router in place and just change the cables over as they are.

I may buy a net-book shortly and will require the router from time to time for that.

If anyone can make sense of this and can help, I will be very grateful.

rawprawn 17:30 02 Apr 09

I am not sure that I understand the question, but I would suggest unplug your PC and plug in directly to your laptop.
If your laptop is wireless enabled after setup you should be able to unplug the cable and use the wireless connection.
Sorry I have misunderstood.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:59 02 Apr 09

"I have a Cable broadband connection with an external cable modem. My question is when I disconnect the modem from the PC"

Your setup shoud be :
Connect modem to router then router to PC also another cable from router to laptop.

All you have to do to remove PC is unplug cable to PC the laptop will be unaffected aprt from it will not be able to see the Desktop drive(s) on the network.

golfpro 19:36 02 Apr 09

Sorry to be such a pain. My laptop is wireless enabled at the moment, so why would I need a separate cable from the router to the laptop.
Also what difference would it make if I just connected direct from the modem to the laptop, and left the router out of the equation altogether (I may not need it for a couple of months).

Sorry my question was a bit vague, what I should have said was "When I disconnect the modem from the router and then the router from the PC" does that make more sense.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…