Completely new to this

Maryp 19:49 25 Nov 03

I'd like to have a basic web page for my business. Very basic only a couple of pages, a bit of info, and prices, which I'd then like to link to the online telephone directories, Yell thompson.
What I'd like to know first, is how much is this likely to cost? I know theres software you can buy to make the page, but then do you have to pay monthly to have it online?

www.lizzybug.co.uk 20:12 25 Nov 03

Not sure what you're asking for Maryp.

Do you want simply to be listed in the Thompson and Yell etc?

Or, do you want to integrate their telephone search pages into your site? If so why?

If it's the former, Yell has a box on the frontpage saying "Advertise with us"... follow the links in there. Thompson has a similar link click here.

If it's the latter, not sure if it's possible. Certainly I don't remember seeing anything like it on other websites. You might try just putting links to both somewhere on the page, or even better on a links page so you don't clutter the rest of the site up.

Dave

wiz33 20:12 25 Nov 03

The cost of creating a couple of pages should be very economical (around £100), try click here
If you have not registered your domain name yet then you can do it via click here pay for the registration and you get FREE web hosting.

Maryp 20:28 25 Nov 03

I think that covers it wiz33. I put in my business name and its got it .co.uk for 15.99(-6.00 discount.) So if I get that, I then have to get some web design software to design the page, and then its free for 2 years. Is that it? then I can pay Yell etc to add it their list.
Where does the £100 come in, is that to get someone to design the website?

The GnoMe 20:43 25 Nov 03

the £100 seems to be for the hosting and domain name

to get someone to design your page will cost more.
as it takes alot to create a business website and alot of expertize.

there are such things as web page wizards click here
but for a buisiness site this will put your customers off as it is very limited and ammature.

Maryp 20:54 25 Nov 03

You're confusing me now. On the second 'click here' link from wiz33, it says £9.99 for the domain name and free hosting. Is there more to pay than that (and designing the page)?
It being limited and ammateur wouldn't realy be a problem, its more than most in my field.

The GnoMe 21:40 25 Nov 03

Right ill try to be more clearer for you.

If you want a website be it a personal one or a company one you need to do a number of things first.

First thing you need to do is to MAKE the website. You do this by using a number of programs such as Frontpage or Dreamweaver to name but two. This will actually MAKE the website, which is then on your computer for you to see.

But to put the website on the INTERNET

you then have a few choices

the first is the pay/proffessional route (for companies etc)

you need to buy a domain name ie. www . yourname.com.

then you need to buy some webspace on someones server to 'hold' your website so that everyone on the internet can see it. You then upload your files from your computer to this webspace.

the second option is to put your website on a free host, which will cover your site in adverts and give you a virtual domain name ie. www .theirname .yourwebsitename . com

If you have no website making experience then it is best not just to dive in if you want your site to look proffessional.

there are plenty of companies out there who will design and host your website for you but you will pay heavily for the privelage.

or why not get a friend to make it for you? or someone with a hobby in webdesign.

i have sent you an email take a look see.

hope this helps

Cheers

G

Maryp 21:58 25 Nov 03

Thanks, that makes it clearer. It was the 'free host... virtual domain name'bit that got me mixed up. £9.99 for 2 years did seem too good to be true, but if its got thier name in it as well, that would explain it.
I have got a friend who designs web sites, so hopefuly I can persuade them to help, now I know what I talking about.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…