Completely free security software help needed.

uggly 15:03 PM 01 Dec 11

My friend has a 4 year old laptop given to him and he can't afford any kind of paid-for security suites.It runs Vista but thats all he could tell me.

What are the best completely free security suites that I can help him download to his computer please.

johndrew 15:23 PM 01 Dec 11

He has a firewall with Vista but can upgrade to one of the free items shown in Security Downloads if he wants to. Additionally there are free Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware packages shown in the same list along with ratings.

DO NOT install more than one Anti-Virus package or problems will result.

If he would prefer an all-in-one package he could look at the Outpost Security Suite, also free, which covers all his needs.

Graphicool1 15:30 PM 01 Dec 11

Spyware Blaster...CLICK HERE

Super Anti Spyware...CLICK HERE

robin_x 16:31 PM 01 Dec 11

Only one of Avast or MSE or Avira (3 common free AVs)

You can have all of the others running alongside it.

Firefox or Chrome browsers (instead of Internet Explorer are popular). You can have any number installed.

I run WinPatrol as well (blocks sneaky extra StartUp programs and changes to HomePage/Search Engine)/junk Toolbars)

A visit to for a browser add-on, gives a handy method of identifying 'dodgy' sites. Red,Green or Amber circles appear on Search Results.

The best security is making regular backups. Presumably he won't have an external drive.

Irreplaceable files (photos, home videos, letters, emails) should be backed up to DVDs regularly.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:47 PM 01 Dec 11

With Vista use windows built in firewall it is good enough

Microsoft Security essentials OR Avast as the Antvirus both will update automatically when fully installed Avast needs re registering every year but stays free.

Spywareblaster as blocker

Malwarebytes free and or Superantispyware as backup scanners for malware

uggly 19:53 PM 01 Dec 11

Thank you all very much for your kind and helpful suggestions.I will try and persuade him to use a selection of the free ones you've all suggested although I will probably end up installing them for him.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Rugby World Cup 2015 online: Watch live, catch up on-demand & stream the 2015 Rugby…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

See immersive artist and storyteller Chris Milk speak at London VR event

What everyone thinks of the new Steve Jobs movie | 21 Facts about the Steve Jobs film | PLUS:…