Complete reinstall..........

cdb 17:59 28 May 05

If I do a complete reinstall, will it affect the 2nd hard drive I've fitted since new. ie will it try and reformat it, or lose any of the data stored on it. Or will the pc just recognise it like before and I have nothing to worry about?

I'd like to transfer as much as possible (ie picture, documents etc) to the 2nd hard drive and the reinstall XP to try and sort out a couple of long standing problems (hopefully)
Cheers

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:24 28 May 05

Transfer all your docs pictures music etc. to slave drive, then Boot with cd format c:\ drive and reinstall XP will not affect files on D:\ etc.

However you will have to reinstall your programs and make sure you have all the drivers you require before you start.

Pooke100 18:25 28 May 05

It shouldn't affect the second disk at all, unless you choose to format it by mistake.

mattyc_92 19:57 28 May 05

You will have to physically remove the ribbon cable out of the back of the drive if it is internal, otherwise, windows wont install untill you create another partition on that drive

If it is external, then there wont be a problem at all

cdb 21:09 28 May 05

It's an internal drive that is already partitioned into two separate drives.
Does that mean I have to unplug the ribbon cable?

mattyc_92 21:13 28 May 05

Yes, unless you format one of the partitions so that you can create another.... Once you have installed Windows (and got it up and running aka "first-boot" is over when it asks you for your name, etc...)

The only problem, is that SOME HDs will want you to format before windows can access it (Windows will display the "This drive hasn't been formatted... Do you wish to format" message)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:19 28 May 05

Do you have two physical drives or one drive partioned into two a c:\ and a D:\?

Either way there will be no prolem with any files on the D:\ drive AS LONG AS you tell XP to format C: and install to C:\windows.

Ancient Learner 21:34 28 May 05

Sorry to interfere. We seem to have two very different opinions here. One is that it is fine providing that the correct button is pressed to only format C drive. The other is that the second HDD needs disconnecting otherwise the second HDD is in trouble and is likely to have to be formatted as well, which would be a disaster.

I'm interested because I have 2 HDDs split into 4 drives each, ie 8 drives in all, and I would not like to think that any of the other 7 were in any danger!

Ancient Learner 12:06 29 May 05

Well! Am I therefore wrong? Or have I asked for an obvious comment, or, perhaps, the impossible and no-one knows the answer really.

Perhaps cdb would post back here, please, when he/she has done it.

leo49 13:00 29 May 05

You've asked for the obvious so here it is.

Formatting and reinstalling Windows on C on the Master drive will NOT affect any data stored on other partitions on the main drive nor on the 2nd HDD fitted as slave.

Unplugging ribbons to secondary HDDs is totally unnecessary.

amonra 13:22 29 May 05

Just make sure that you enable the Win Firewall as your first priority before you think about connecting to line. With a new installation your system is wide open to all those nasties flying about.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…