Complete reformat of aging laptop...

Malc1000 22:07 06 Aug 03

I trying to eek out a few more months of use from an aging Tosh 310 CDT laptop and the hard drive was in desperate need of a total reformat. I backed up my data and off I went confident that I had all the old disks and drivers in a cupboard. Errr, no I haven't. This machine won't take XP so that's not an issue. I found my Windows 98 upgrade CD and my ME upgrade CD but I can't find my original windows 95 full version CD (although I found the manual and hologram certificate). What's worse is I haven't got a boot CD or a driver for the CD ROM.

The good news is I have a nice desktop machine that I can use to download stuff.

Can anyone help me sort this out please ?

Cheers

Malc

Lú-tzé 22:43 06 Aug 03

Does this mean that you have only got an upgrade version of an OS? If so, I don't know a way around other than getting a full version of something that is a valid upgrade platform.

Maybe find someone who had Win95 or 98 and no longer uses it?

DieSse 22:49 06 Aug 03

Install ME from the CD - when it asks you to certify that you already own a product to upgarde, you put in your Win98CD.

That will work fine, if that's what you are worried about - no need to find the Win95CD.

To start thw whole project of, a boot floppy shuld do, and you can download them from the web. I have used click here

DieSse 22:49 06 Aug 03

Install ME from the CD - when it asks you to certify that you already own a product to upgrade, you put in your Win98CD.

That will work fine, if that's what you are worried about - no need to find the Win95 CD.

To start the whole project off, a boot floppy should do, and you can download them from the web. I have used click here

Lú-tzé 22:52 06 Aug 03

DieSse - thanks for that info - it is new to me.

phil 23:15 06 Aug 03

Will your laptop let you use both the floppy drive AND the CD Drive at the same time? ie have you got a caddy?

If not then you won't be able to boot from a floppy and then insert the CD. Reason being because you have to switch off the machine to remove the floppy drive and then insert the CD Drive. You then lose the startup info.

The way round it is to load up the boot floppy then write the information to the hard drive in a way that it is kept in the memory.
This involves writing a short program to the bios.

When I tried to re-install the operating system to my Tosh 220CS I had to take it to a programmer at work to do it.
I hadn't got a clue how to go about it but to see him doing it opened my eyes.

I'm not saying this will be answer that you need but it was the only way round the problem that worked when my old lappie was done.

If a caddy is the answer you can pick them up on Ebay for around £10.

Malc1000 23:32 06 Aug 03

Thanks for all the help, you guys are great. Doing the install with Me using the 98 upgrade CD as the platform has worked a treat.

Thank you ver very much

Malc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…