Complete Programme Removal

Robert-328012 18:25 05 Dec 03

Downloading or trying demos, time-limited and shareware programmes always seems to leave a trace on the computer when they are of no further us. Often this is to prevent reloading them!
This process, over time, fills the computer drives with multiple small but unneeded files. How can you remove them? Where are these files stored and can they be tracked or traced?

Many thanks
Robert

powerless 18:38 05 Dec 03

C:\Program Files

Start, Run, Type:

regedit

Click OK.

File, Export, Save.

Edit, Find, use keywords to the program name. Delete all entries.

As you have backed up the registry if you have any problems then import your exported registry.

Jester2K II 18:39 05 Dec 03

Yes they are there to stop you unloading and reloading the software. click here

madPentium 18:41 05 Dec 03

If I had a 100mb hard drive I may be concerned, but to be honest I cant see trial programs leaving enough files behind to fill a hard drive. Each program hides files in different places, but most use the registry to record the date/time you installed them.
I used to notice windows 98 slowed down a lot when the registry was being continually added to, but since going to xp I havnt experienced this.

R4 18:46 05 Dec 03

install and/or remove the programs with a tacer such as Norton Clean sweep. This tracks all files /registry addins etc during the installation and removes them when you uninstall.

R4 18:55 05 Dec 03

tacer should be tracer

could also use a registry cleaner

VoG II 19:27 05 Dec 03

Try click here - I have not used this myself.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…