Complete novice!

Forza 12:16 18 Feb 06

Hi, can anyone help?

I want to attempt to build my own website but have not got a clue where to start! I have my own domain via Freeparking but wasnt sure whether their 'Wizzsite' was any good?

Can anyone give any advice as to the best place to start?

Thanks in advance!

mco 13:15 18 Feb 06

I don't know Wizzsite but I expect it would be fine to start with as many decent hosts provide their own diy programs that enable you to get a decent site with no previous experience. There are free webdesign programs that you can get from magazine cds - netobjects fusion 7 and serifwebplus are both userfriendly and currently on pc mag cds so you'd just need the cost of the mag to try them out. The biggies are FrontPage and Dreamweaver but they cost a lot and if you're just beginning you don't have to fork out a fortune. What do you want your site for? A personal site or a business?

Forza 13:32 18 Feb 06

Its just a personal site but i didnt want it to look cheap and tacky!

mco 17:43 18 Feb 06

..unless you make it cheap and tacky! You can have a professional site with webhosts' own software or a cheap and tacky site with the most expensive dreamweaver; it's how you use it that counts

spuds 18:18 18 Feb 06

Have a play around with Serif Webplus 6.0, that should give you some ideas.

It's free from click here plus a number of other free Serif programmes. Download and enjoy.

Forza 19:52 18 Feb 06

Thanks for the replies!!!

welshwizard712 17:04 19 Feb 06

Yes DIY Templates for First Timers is the way to go.

Once you have a template maybe downloading the files and playing with the HTML Code and tranna add your own bits in.

It all comes with time, be persistant, then soon you will be able to learn PHP :P

mwhaha

Matt

Apolloeye 12:03 04 Mar 06

When I wanted to build a web site it took me so long to learn all this html stuff and that, I gave up, it done my head in, so I paid a company to do it, click here they work on a flat fee of 150 quid, just an idea, if you really get stuck.

lisaj 17:29 07 Mar 06

I'm also looking to build a new site and others in future, no previous Web Build experience although I was an PL/1, Assembler, Fortran programmer years ago. Have been reading replies and visited the Serif Website and noticed WebPlus 9 for £59.99. This looks like a good buy, my question is, is it over kill for a first timer or worth the money with the potential to upgrade when the experience kicks in.

spuds 18:10 07 Mar 06

It would be best to start your own posting,due to the possibility that your question will get overlooked as it is in someone else's posting.

Would mention, if you subscribe to the Serif newsletter, you will receive special offers on Serif products.

GroupFC 22:23 07 Mar 06

I know nothing about web design or building websites but why not have a look at WebPlus 6 (which is an older version of the serif s/ware at click here) to have a play around with?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac