Complete Mess

Rogerthedog 12:10 26 Mar 04

My PC is in a right mess. I've been trying allsorts, PC Doctor, AVG etc. I am now getting a Runtime error when the PC starts "Could not load Windows/System BSS5X.DLL" and a load of "Missing Shortcut" messages.

The OS is Win98 by the way.

When everything has loaded, the hourglass will not go off and I can not open any programmes or hit Control+Alt+Del. Is it worth wiping the whole system clean and reloading windows?

MichelleC 12:18 26 Mar 04

Try reinstalling os over itself 1st (no data loss, but will have to redo updates).

Rogerthedog 12:22 26 Mar 04

Thanks - didn't realise you could do that. I'll try this weekend.

Gongoozler 12:47 26 Mar 04

I have searched in my Windows 98se system and via Google but have failed to find any reference to BSS5X.DLL. DLLs are often loaded when you install software, so I suspect that you have uninstalled some software either by just deleting files, or the uninstaller was badly written. If the defective software is loading at startup, you should be able to identify what it is by going to Start - Run and typing in the word msconfig, then clicking on OK. Select the Startup tab. You should be able to safely untick any box except ScanRegistry, SystemTray, and LoadPowerProfile. If you no longer get the error message, you can put the ticks back into the boxes until you get the fault back.

If you haven't installed or deleted any programs, then download and run Adaware (click here) because a common source of badly written software is spyware.

The suggestion from MichelleC would be a good one if the missing file was a Windows one, but I don't think this is.

Rogerthedog 14:12 26 Mar 04

Thanks Gongoozler - If I can get the PC to work then I'll give it a go. This morning I couldn't click on anything. The hourglass won't go away and I can't even hit C+A+Delete.

Gongoozler 17:12 26 Mar 04

Try booting into Safe Mode (hold the Ctrl key while booting to get this option), then follow the Start - Run - msconfig routine.

Gongoozler 17:14 26 Mar 04

Try booting into Safe Mode (hold the Ctrl key while booting to get this option), then follow the Start - Run - msconfig routine. If you can't even boot into Safe Mode, then I think a reformat could be the easiest option.

MichelleC 19:32 26 Mar 04

With greatest respect reinstalling os over itself will take 45mins (before formatting), and you'll see if it doesn't work. (plus 2-3 hours for updates)

Gongoozler 19:45 26 Mar 04

Hi MichelleC, I agree that installing Windows over itself can do no harm and is worth trying before a reformat, but surely disabling the likely offending program first is even easier and should be tried first.

R4 19:56 26 Mar 04

Bootup using a Boot Floppy with CD support then run Win98 setup (probably E:setup).

This wil re install your Basic win98, you will have to re do any upgrades you had, once you have insured this fixes you problem.

Try Gongoozler's approach first would be the best way. . also BSS5X.DLL is NOT a WIN998 dll.

R4 19:57 26 Mar 04

Bootup using a Boot Floppy with CD support then run Win98 setup (probably E:setup).

This wil re install your Basic win98, you will have to re do any upgrades you had, once you have insured this fixes you problem.

Try Gongoozler's approach first would be the best way. . also BSS5X.DLL is NOT a WIN998 dll.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…