A complete cockup

markcomp 09:44 21 Apr 05

I have an old HP computer (Pentium 3)running 908 SE that my two young boys (5 & 7) use for games and internet use.
It was starting to run so slowley that games and sound were very jumpy.
I checked for spyware, defragmented (eventually in safe mode!) but with no difference. I then tried to use Direct X troubleshooter in control panel in case that was the problem, but it wouod not run.
I then moved to the conclusion that reloadeding windows would despite the hassles of re-configuring drivers etc was the only option. But i no longer have the disc. So here comes the cockup.
I read somewhere that pre-installed machines have windows in a partitioned section of the hard disc under win/options/cab files. so I found these and reinstalled from a setup.exe file..ONLY on re-starting it asks for the product key, which I don't have. What the hell do i do as the boys have a machine that won't do anything and surprise they are not very happy with Dad

TomJerry 10:10 21 Apr 05

search all everywhere to try to find the key, it is normally with manual or a stick under the case

you can buy a 2nd hand from ebay for a few pounds

or ask around nicely, maybe someone has one unused

or grab one from google (naughty)

961 10:30 21 Apr 05

No chance stick-on label with key is inside machine? Bottom of keyboard, monitor?

E-mail HP ask for help?

Take it we are at the stage where you cannot get into registry to extract key?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…