Complete beginner ...DVD Writer queries!

stupid grinner 13:18 12 Jun 06

Hi all. I'm new to the forum and a computer idiot, so please excuse these basic questions.
I am buying a new PC Desktop set up and need to include a DVD Burner. I have read some of your previous posts and just want to ask the following...

The DVD burner will be used to store video clips from my Digital camera to disc, is it worth buying a 16x burner, as most people seem to suggest burning at 8 or 4x's to increase reliability.

Could you give me an idea of burning time, with appropriate software of say 1hrs high quality video at 4 and 8x's, as I don't have a clue how long it will take!

Is NERO generally accepted as the best software to install? Does this software include video editing facilities etc?

Is it true that a DVD Writer is not as efficient as a cd writer for burning cd's?

What is coasting???

I may store SOME video on the hard drive, lets say 200 hrs of video, what sort of hard drive size would cope and what processor and ram size would be appropriate.
GAMING is not important, purely for playing back video.

What spec graphics card would be required?

Hope someone can advise me.
Sorry about the basic questions!
Stupid grinner

spuds 13:33 12 Jun 06

You might find this website interesting click here

Coasters (coasting) = Scrap disks, which can result from bad setting up, to poor quality materials.

stlucia 15:13 12 Jun 06

Spuds has recommended a site that will answer your queries about DVDs.

So far as video is concerned, what you need most is HDD capacity. If you're talking about downloading from a video camera, then editing it and burning it to DVD, you'll probably need about 40Gb for every hour of original video (if my memory serves me correctly). But, once you've converted it into MPEG2 format for burning onto a DVD, about one hour can fit on a standard DVD (4.7Gb). I download and edit video using a 600Mhz Athlon with 256Mb RAM and a run-of-the-mill video card, but I have a couple of 120Gb HDDs dedicated to video storage. So, I would say that any modern PC will be more than adequate for the job so long as you have plenty of HDD.

I use Roxio for burning CDs and DVDs. I believe it's on a par with Nero. I don't believe that either of them allow you to edit video, but they can both create a video DVD once you've got the video into the finished format you want.

john-232317 17:27 12 Jun 06

If you have Nerovision Express included in the Nero package you can edit a movie with that.

stupid grinner 19:46 12 Jun 06

Thanks for the help people. Its a lot clearer now.
Still would like some info on how long burn time can be and the issue of burning at 16x speed or not.

woodchip 19:58 12 Jun 06

For Video the Drive or Partition needs to be NTFS file format to store more than 4Gb as one file. Fat32 will split the file at 4Gb. And I use a External USB2 Hard Drive for all my stuff including Photos and Video

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:04 12 Jun 06

If you burn at aslower speed than your drive is capable of you stand a better chance of burning a good disk (and not producing a coaster).

i.e. 16x burner may give a good copy at full speed but 8x is less likely to fail.

remember the fable of the Hare and the Tortoise (slow and staedy wins the day).

stupid grinner 22:32 12 Jun 06

Thanks for the info people. Very helpful.

stlucia 08:37 13 Jun 06

Grinner, Fruit Bat /\0/\ has given a good answer about burning speed.

But when you're movie making, burning is not the task that takes the most time: In my experience it's the "rendering" of the movie (making it into MPEG2 files after you've finished editing it) that takes the most time. With my setup it's about 8 hours for a 1-hour movie (maybe more modern software does it quicker), then about 20 minutes (or less) to burn it onto DVD. Rendering is the one area where a faster processor and, possibly, a higher spec. video card would speed things up.

De Marcus™ 08:48 13 Jun 06

Video editing is cpu and memory intensive, so buying the best you can afford will pay off in the long run, a small fast hard drive (10,000 rpm) will also pay dividends whilst having a large standard speed (7200 rpm) will be beneficial for storing the finished video. With regard to encoding speed (this is a very rough guesstimate) a 1 hour long video will take approx twice as long to encode on a relatively modern pc, i.e. 3ghz P4 1gb ram. Burning, as has been mentioned is a fairly quick process.

With regard to storing 200 hours of video, I suppose it's possible after encoding but I can't imagine the GB's of HD space you'd need, your better off only keeping a few on the system whilst you burn them to disk before archiving.

If you want to make the whole thing a fairly painless process, make sure the components inside the machine are up to the job.

stupid grinner 11:24 13 Jun 06

Thanks again for the replies.
Can you tell me...what is MPeg2 and what software is required to convert to it.
I assume mpeg2 is some kind of compression, does this lose any of the original quality?
What about the comments regarding burning cds with a DVD Writer not being effecient, some people recommend burning cds with CD writer. Is this generally accepted, as it means including a cd writer in my new set-up.
Thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…