compatible or not compatible? that is thy question

the flying monkey 17:46 26 Jun 03

I have an ASUS A7A266 266Mhz socket A motherboard (ALiMaGIK 1 Chipset with DDR RAM/SDRAM). I would like to know if it's still compatible with the technology of today. For example, will it take a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus9 120GB UDMA133 hard disk drive, an AMD Athlon XP processor, 512MB of DDR memory (184DIMM PC2100) and a Radeon9600 128MB DDR AGP DVIVO video card.

If it's any help I have an existing AMD Athlon 1.4Ghz DDR CPU (266Mhz), 256MB of DDR RAM, 64MB nVidia GeForce 2 MX400 (128 bit bus) and a 40GB ATA-100 EIDE HDD already installed.

Finally, do you think that my computer is actually worth upgrading to all this stuff or is it just a case of some of it. I only use it for web site design, surfing the net, playing the odd game and general office work.

Thanks in advance guys.

keith-236785 20:03 26 Jun 03

if as you say "I only use it for web site design, surfing the net, playing the odd game and general office work. "

then stick with what you have got, you dont need any of it.

is there some reason why you feel the need to upgrade?.

PA28 20:18 26 Jun 03

It's really only "the odd game" that has any bearing on this. I have a P4 2.4 at home - mainly for the "odd game" (Like fs2002!). At work I use a P3 600 and an original Pentium 100 - both are quite adequate for the general office work that is required of them (and, let's face it, do the job as well as when they were new). Save your money until you feel the need for speed for "the odd game" and then go the whole hog!

Litlun 20:55 26 Jun 03

Agree with above (obiviously) but there must be an underlying reason for the question I think. If not the question would not have been raised.

the flying monkey, what is your problem really?

It's THY post, thy question, not ours lol. Come clean.

the flying monkey 10:29 27 Jun 03

I think the only reason i want to upgrade is because i got computer envy. it's so annoying, you buy a top of the line computer one year and by the next it's like it never existed. Computer technology moves so quickly it's hard to keep up with. However, if i was to start playing more games would I need the above upgrades or would the existing system still cope pretty well. Thanks for the advice.

keith-236785 15:41 30 Jun 03

obviously depends on the game but i think the only thing i would look at improving is your hard drive, you dont say how big the one you have is, but a 40gig second drive wouldnt go amiss (if you are considering games).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…