Jackie1 00:02 18 Oct 04

Hi
I was wondering if buying compatible inks for a printer

JonnyTub 00:03 18 Oct 04

................was a good idea?

Jackie1 00:04 18 Oct 04

Yes sorry Is ita good idea?

Pesala 00:21 18 Oct 04

If you do a lot of printing, definitely yes. If you use your printer infrequently the cost savings may not be enough to justify a slightly increased risk of blocking the printheads.

Some printers have removable printheads, which are fairly easy to clean. With others it is easier to throw it away and buy a new printer. New printers are almost invariably cheaper than getting a professional to repair it.

I've used compatibles for a year with no problems, and that seems to be the consensus, but people do sometimes ask for help on this forum with unblocking printheads.

The savings are significant: compatibles are about half the cost of originals. Print quality is hard to tell apart. There are plenty of good suppliers e.g. click here click here

JonnyTub 00:24 18 Oct 04

I'll agree with pesala, post the make and model of your printer and members should be able to give you their experiences reagrding compatibles on your printer.

spuds 00:27 18 Oct 04

Jackie 1 other posting click here

Jackie1 00:27 18 Oct 04

Our printer is the Epson C46. We will be using it quite a bit so cost of ink is an issue?

Jackie1 00:31 18 Oct 04

Our printer is the Epson C46. We will be using it quite a bit so cost of ink is an issue?

Stuartli 09:50 18 Oct 04

Tesco still has the half-price offer available on its colour ink refill bottles at £4.96 - I'm successfully using them (plus the black refills pack at £3.96) with my Canon BJC600e's cartridges.

These cartridges are originally Jettec and JR compatible inkjet products and refilling them is pretty simple, although something that can prove messy if you don't take enough care.

As with most refill packs, the Tesco version includes a syringe, needle and plugs.

I used a pair of surgical gloves when refilling, as getting ink on your hands can mean having to wash them many times to completely remove it.

Stuartli 09:58 18 Oct 04

I've used JR, Jettec and Tesco compatible inks and cartridges with my Canon for the past eight years, from the time the four original Canon cartridges were empty (original replacement cartridge costs were outrageous).

The printer still has the original print head - it can be replaced if and when required, but there's been absolutely no need to do so.

carper 13:06 18 Oct 04

I've used Printcartridge.net for more than a year with my Epson without problem. They also do head cleaning cartridges which I have never needed. They also do a chip resetting tool so that you can use the cartridge till it runs absolutely dry.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5