Compatibility problem

NickyK 13:41 29 Jan 05

I have a minor compatibility problem which is generally slowing things down and preventing updates from one or two sites, etc. I have a pretty good idea what's causing this, but I wondered if there were a product that could diagnose such a problem for me and save me the time and hassle.

stalion 15:08 29 Jan 05

can you give more detail of your problem and os please

NickyK 15:23 29 Jan 05

Hello, stalion. My system is Windows XP/SP2 (AOL 9). I recently installed some new software (and everything was fine for a while). Now everything is going at half speed. I've run virus scans, spybot, adaware etc. The new software was legit (e.Scan internet security suite from this month's cover disc - I've removed old virus scanners which e.scan told me were not compatible) - my Firewall is McAfee.
Now, when I try and update A2 and Spyware blaster, I get error messages. I also recently replaced Java 1.4.2 with 1.6. Basically, the system is working at half speed - I've checked the internet connection and that is supposed to be "optimal".

I haven't installed any software from any sources other than coverdiscs.

Someone recommened PC Bug Doctor, but since I don't know this product and don't like it's name, I am loathe to try it.

Thanks, N

961 15:42 29 Jan 05

System restore back to original state

stalion 15:44 29 Jan 05

is a2 anti-virus as well?

stalion 15:46 29 Jan 05

also is there a firewall included in the new software?

NickyK 15:53 29 Jan 05

A2 is spyware (legitimate). No new firewall in "e". Just virus scan. Also, I am not sure this is the problem, since everything was working okay for a few days after I'd installed e. Could be a virus or bug I can't find from the internet.

I can never get system restore to work, 961, but thanks anyway.

NickyK 23:24 29 Jan 05

In the end, I removed all programs that might conflict with e.scan, and still had the system working at 50% speed - even after reboots, cleaning with cc and regcleaner, etc.

I solved my problem by removing the e.scan security suite, reinstalling my original anti-virus protection, spyware stuff, firewalls etc and now my computer is back to its old self.

It's best not to keep fixing things until they break.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…