Compatability problems with Windows ME and modem

Rhuddlan 21:48 07 Sep 05

Went to my aunty's house to dig out her old computer before, she has moved house and it has been in storage for over a year, it's four years old now and has just been connected to Wanadoo Broadband at 2.2Mbps, it run's pretty quick as we have used the system restore disks on it and installed AVG, ZA, Ad Aware etc and all is up to date. Also ran Windows Updates and again all is up to date, just a few things though: -

* She has a Speedtouch Thomson Modem with Windows ME on her Packard Bell i media computer and the comp only starts up if the modem isn't connected to the comp, it has to be disconnected whent the comp is switched off and put back in after the computer has loaded, a friend of mine has this problem too but she gets a blue screen with loads of technical white writing, there must be a solution for this?

Tried to install MS Antispyware but it told me it can only be used on Windows 2000 or XP! Any idea why that is?

And Acrobat Reader tells me that there isn't enough space on the hard disk to install Acrobat Reader 7.0, but there is, she has a 15Gb HDD and there is 10Gb available.

The specs just incase anyone want to know: -

Packard Bell i media (don't know the model, 4 years old)
15Gb HDD
128Mb RAM
Nvidia G Force Graphics card 64Mb.
Windows ME (SP1 is installed, I think).

Hope you can help, many thaks in advance, Rhuddlan.

Rhuddlan 21:57 07 Sep 05

I also forgot to say that when my aunty was trying to sign up for a hotmail account she filled in her details etc and then a page appeared saying something like this program can only be used for Windows 2000 and Windows XP, can't remember the exact wording, it all came up after signing up for hotmail on the MSN website, any ideas?

Jackcoms 22:07 07 Sep 05

"Tried to install MS Antispyware but it told me it can only be used on Windows 2000 or XP! Any idea why that is?"

Yes, because that's the way Microsoft designed it. If you want further details, ask Bill Gates.

"trying to sign up for a hotmail account she filled in her details etc and then a page appeared saying something like this program can only be used for Windows 2000 and Windows XP"

What program? Hotmail, if that's what you mean, can be used by any Operating System.

Rhuddlan 22:08 07 Sep 05

Thanks, Jackcoms, u where a big help!!!

Jackcoms 22:09 07 Sep 05

Yes, I was - given the limited info in your original questions

Dipso 22:16 07 Sep 05

A mate of mine this problem, with Windows ME. He resolved it by updating the driver. click here Try that first and if that doesn't work you may need to try a powered USB hub.

Rhuddlan 22:21 07 Sep 05

Cheers Dipso, will give that a go and let u know how I get on.

leo49 22:30 07 Sep 05

Acrobat Reader 7.0 is not compatible with ME - got to have Windows 2000 with Service Pack 2, Windows XP Professional or Home Edition.

click here

scotty 22:31 07 Sep 05

I think Acrobat reader v7 is for XP only. You will need to stick with v6 for ME

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…