Compatability of PC2100 and PC3200 DDR Ram

Figgis 10:50 11 Sep 04

I was wondering if anyone can advise me. This is the situation, my current system has 3x256 PC2100 ddr ram modules. I am going to buy a upgrade kit which is supplied with 512mb pc3200 ddr ram (1 module i would assume). The new mobo supports both types. My question is if i put 2 modules of ram from my old system into the new mobo, giving 1gb will there to anyones knowledge be a conflict eg will they run together giving 1gb of ram. I appreciate that if it is ok they may only run at PC2100 speed but i would have thought 1gig of Pc2100 would be better than 512 of pc3200.
Thanks for any help.

Diodorus Siculus 10:55 11 Sep 04

There should be no conflict but as you say, it will run at the slower speed. It will probably not be noticed in the main.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:58 11 Sep 04

Should work together at slowest speed as you have said.

However sometimes different makes of ram do not like each other that is why if you are buying more ram to add to a system checking on a site like crucial is worthwhile.

In your case the ram is comming with the upgrade kit so you can only try and see what happens. If won't boot or beeps on start remove the slower ram and put the other in slot 0.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…