Compatability issues with linux and windows

jono_2003 17:40 12 Jul 03

Hi, I want to dual boot my existing windows 98 pc with a version of linux - how compatable are the two? Can linux use the same file system as windows?

powerless 18:19 12 Jul 03

Compatibilty does not reslly come into it as bother operating systems are different. They can be run along side each other.

"Can linux use the same file system as windows?" - It uses it's own file system. It will format the drive (or partition) to its own file system.

jono_2003 20:11 12 Jul 03

I have heard that (red hat 7.0 i think)linux can be installed without repartitioning your hard disk?

powerless 20:16 12 Jul 03

Never tried 7 but the ones i have tried you do need to partition your HDD.

dth 22:22 12 Jul 03

Most Linux installations will automatically set up their own partition (using ext2 or ext3xt3 filing syetm) within the existing partitions.

Linux works fine with Windows systems that use use FAT32 - so there is no problem in reading info from your windows partition when using Linux. It doesn't work the other way round though as Windows ignores Linux .

askgreg 23:22 12 Jul 03

I agree dth ,I also have no problems running 98 and 'Red Hat Linux'.I've also tried 'Mandrake' with no problems.The only real problem that I have had, is with 'Win' modems, you will find it difficult to make them work.

woodchip 23:35 12 Jul 03

I would suggest you do some research on linux, before you even attempt to load linux.click here
click here
click here

jono_2003 20:03 13 Jul 03

thanks!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…