Compatability of Components

kf1 15:20 11 Jan 05

Hi,

I'm thinking of building a AMD PC for the first time. I've added IDE drives extra devices, cards and reinstalled the OS on my existing PC so I don't mind getting my hands dirty.

I know there are guides available but other than Crucial's memory selector I've not seen any compatibility charts for a whole PC. I'm always seeing the forums complaining of this GPU crashed with this mobo with this driver so does anyone know of a site where you can find recommended compatible components from scratch. e.g. case, PSU, heatsink, Graphics Card, memory etc.

I don't want to overclock at this stage but would still like to put together a fast, quiet PC for gaming and video.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

961 17:51 11 Jan 05

If you go to the AMD site you'll find a list of current processors and which motherboards are approved for use with them

click here has a lot of useful information

Ensure you buy a case to fit the form factor of the motherboard (probably ATX) and that has a power supply of at least 400watts

As you say, Crucial will supply the right memory

The one to be careful with is the graphics card. Ensure the spec. from the manufacturers web site etc agrees that it will work with the motherboard you are buying

Most other bits work ok with each other

xania 18:09 11 Jan 05

Not quite. There are two different types of Hard Disk available - the older type with the ribbon cable is IDE - but the higher end mobos are now introducing the alternative format SATA. I think you can get mobos that support both, and that you can get PCI cards to provide SATA to a IDE mobo, but watch out for the differences.

Also, although its true that you should get as much memory you can afford once again, earlier Operating Systems are not keen on more than 512K.

Rayuk 19:22 11 Jan 05

There are also new motherboards coming out that use pci-e for graphics cards so another one to look out for.

What socket motherboartd are you going for
Socket A On its way out[AthlonXPand Semperon]
Socket 754 the budget side[Athlon64 and Sempron]
Socket 939 the AMD high end[Athlon64 & FX]

lamda 21:26 11 Jan 05

add to my postings

DrScott 22:09 11 Jan 05

I'm planning to build an AMD system too, and after hours of forum ploughing, I think a socket 939 with PCI express graphics is the way to go. Whilst not very cheap, it'll be easier to upgrade in months to come, as socket 754 is being binned by AMD. If you do go down socket 939 road, get a Winchester core chip (rather than Newcastle) - they run cooler and quieter.

You might be interested in my planned build for my father (he doesn't need a monitor or mouse/keyboard)

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Skt939 (Winchester core)
Abit AX8 motherboard (when available)
Corsair TwinX 2x512MB XMS 3200 RAM
Asus Radeon X300SE/TD 128MB PCI-E
Coolermaster Centurion 5 case
200G Maxtor DMax+10 SATA150/7200/8M
Samsung 16X Dual Layer DVDRW
AOpen 52x52x32x16 CDRW/DVD Ret
generic floppy drive
Tagan 380W Low noise Power Supply
Windows XP Pro (OEM)

I've run most of the components past the people in click here and so far a thumbs up!

kf1 10:40 12 Jan 05

Thanks for the reponse guys.

I'll definately be going for SATA drives and an Athlon 64 AMD 939. I've currently got 768K ram on windows ME it's not a problem on ME as you just need to tweek one of the settings in the registry but I use MemTurbo (ram defragger) which allows you to change it in the settings and leave the registry alone.

One of the other questions I had was which graphics card to use with which motherboard? Although I think it's more an issue of which mobo chipset with which GPU chipset as performance can vary with the same graphics card on different mobos.

961 11:31 12 Jan 05

That's right, some chipsets like certain cards more than others

939 motherboards with pci express slots are really just appearing now and I suppose the reviews will be in the magazines in the next couple of months

For an up to date future proof system I'm sure 939 is the way to go.

DrScott 11:40 12 Jan 05

It doesn't matter toooo much, but generally an Nvidia card will work better with an Nvidia chipset.

Graphics cards at the moment are also heading down the SLI route, which is basically 2 graphics cards working together on PCI-express. So far Nvidia are the only compay doing this, and their mobos. However, it's probably only nec if you're an ultra keen game player, because it's really very expensive fitting 2 graphics cards, which in practice have to be EXACTLY the same (i.e. bought at the same time from the same place). However, SLI PCI-express may well be the future so it might be worth considering a mobo that supports it.

Myself, though, I'm still undecided.

Rayuk 17:23 12 Jan 05

If you are going for a tft [1280x1024] then SLI isnt warranted as its only when you go up to 1600x1200 that it really kicks in.
Also if you intend to overclock in the near future go for PC3500 or better.

kf1 09:11 17 Jan 05

Sorry guys, I've not had the time to respond but found a great website with step by step photo guides for building AMD 64 and Intel systems including the BIOS settings. If you register you can download the tutorials also.

click here

So far it's the most up to date and clear tutorial I have seen.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…