Compatability Check Please!

Ben Avery (Work) 14:49 17 Feb 03

One of our Aberdeen girls has decided to upgrade a few bit on her PC, she plays games and does some Wordprocessing etc. Could you check the below items and advise aon any problems you may see please?!

MoBo: Gigabyte GA-7DXE click here

CPU: AMD Duron 1.3Ghz click here

Graphics: Radeon 7500 64MB DDR click here

HDD: Western Digital 20GB Caviar UMDA100 click here

RAM: Crucial 256MB (Any advantage on this spec getting DDR or will standard SDRAM be adequate?)

Ben Avery (Work) 15:01 17 Feb 03

Due to the death of her old PC, items were selected on 2 main criteria:

1) In Stock!

2) She is on a budget so reasonably priced items. Originally had advised her on a different system based on the Athlon XP1700+ but things have changed since then!

duplo 15:14 17 Feb 03

The Hard drive you have chosen is small and slow... and for that price you can do much better. The Graphics card is also an old chipset I do believe, if she plays games a better one may be a good idea.

Try This:
HD:Seagate Barracuda 40GB 7200rpm UDMA100 UIDE - OEM £59.13 (click here)

As for graphics- i think a GF4 440MX will be faster for similar cash.

« Ravin » 15:20 17 Feb 03

the prices of ddr ram have dropped a bit so if you can afford it go with ddr. and i agree with duplo about the hard disk. but in the graphics card area , i think even a Geforce3 ti series would be better than an mx version.

Ben Avery (Work) 15:40 17 Feb 03

click here

click here

These 2 better then?

SmiffyRebel 17:04 17 Feb 03

I always use Gigabyte Mobo's and have never had a problem if you go to gigabytes website they have a compatability list so that you can check out graphics and sound cards, as the price between DDR and SDRAM is minimal I would go for the DDR.

Ben Avery (Work) 08:39 18 Feb 03

I've sent up those components to her, and she seems happy enough so thank you!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…