Comparing the contents of two folders

powerless 01:31 19 Apr 03

I am after a little program that will look at the contents of two folders and list each file in columns and then tell me which files are the same.

For example:

Folder 1: Files 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5

Folder 2: Files 1, 3, 5, 6, and 7

Files that are the same: 1, 3 and 5.

I have only managed to find programs that compare file versions, DLL'S etc. This is not what i am after.

There just word documents, pictures...

Does anyone know of a program that will do this?

As far as i know you cannot do this from Windows XP, if you can how?

howard60 07:08 19 Apr 03

this is built into xp

Simsy 07:14 19 Apr 03

from click here has a feature to find duplicate files....

I'm writing this at work so I can't check exactly how it works. I usually just use it as a regisry cleaner, but from memory you can set which folders you want it to look in.

If I'm right you'd have to set it to look in the folder that is higher than both the folders you want to check, which may of course reveal other duplicates as well.

I hope this helps, apologies if it turns out to be a wild goose chase!

Regards,

Simsy

powerless 20:57 19 Apr 03

jvpowertools messed up my computer a litte when i installed it so i had to get rid of it.

Have never used briefcase not even in 98.
I'll have a go now :-)

Pesala 23:42 19 Apr 03

click here this can show lists in two folders side-by-side and has a synchronise feature.

pj123 13:47 20 Apr 03

I use PowerDesk (free programme on many Magazine cover disks) this can compare folders, subfolders and even complete HDDs.

powerless 15:11 20 Apr 03

Thanks Pesala and pj123 i'm currently using the Briefcase, it's going ok so far...

I've had a look at the sites for 2xExplorer and PowerDesk and they look good but briefcase is going good at the moment so i'll stick with that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…