//some 3rd party need geo

Compaq setup

oz 00:18 10 Feb 03

Can anyone help with a Compaq AP400 F10 setup problem.
The manual says.. Press F10 to get into setup & screen will show "F10-setup" press enter to get to diagnostics. If I press F10 the screen just says setup and won't go into diagnostics. I assume that the diagnostics is written to a hidden partition.
The hard drive is 18.2Gb and Windows reports a 17.359Gb HD.
Does this mean the hidden partiton is empty or am I missing something ?

Oz

« Ravin » 00:22 10 Feb 03

have you used fdisk or any other similar program recently? (like partition magic) looks like you've either deleted the hidden partition or formatted it. unless you need to use the diagonostics from a cd?

oz 00:31 10 Feb 03

I used fdisk just to look at the drives params, and didn't alter anything. Fdisk just reported the 1 active partition.
The PC was infested with virus's & thought it would be best to just format it & start again.
As It's not my PC I thought it would be best to follow Compaqs setup.
I'm just plucking up he courage to hit the "y" key for a format

oz

oz 03:17 10 Feb 03

Thanks for the response Ravin. I went ahead with the format & PC is up & running OK with only a few minor probs. I thought the hidden partition may have been essential to the OS setup. I ran a virus checker on the previous OS & it had over 950 infected files so was beyond recovery.
Just one last question is it possible for a hidden partition to be infected with a virus ?

« Ravin » 13:02 10 Feb 03

it's possible but not likely and in this case any hidden partition should show up when you use fdisk. so guess it had been already deleted. glad the pc is ok. the hiddenly partition normally contains diagnostic software usefull for newbies but not necesary for a reinstall.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…