Compaq Restore CD, is this immoral?

HighTower 09:15 26 Jul 04

I need to get hold of a driver for the onboard sound in a Compaq Presario S7300. As I have reformatted the Hard Disk and installed XP Pro rather than the Home edition that came as standard I don't have access to the restore partition. In hindsight I should have backed it up, but I never imagined it would be so difficult to download these basic drivers, ot that they wouldn't be available in the standard XP install anyway.

It appears that you cannot donwload the drivers but have to fork out £20 for a system restore CD. If I "borrowed" a CD from somebody would that be immoral? Whilst I agree that companies have a right to protect their software isn't it a bit extreme in this case? If it was an software application I would perhaps understand, but a driver which I have in effect already paid for on purchase of the hardware should surely be available for download free of charge?

If anyone has any opinions on this, or a solution which helps avoid paying out £20 and keeps me out of jail then I'd be interested to hear it. I think at the end I'll probably end up paying out, but it's a bit steep when all I need is one tiny driver!

Thanks all.

Diodorus Siculus 09:21 26 Jul 04

Do you know the mobo manufacturer? I would be surprised if the sound chip was specific to Compaq. If you can ID the mobo using something like Everest you should be able to download a driver from the net.

HighTower 09:28 26 Jul 04

Just downloaded SiSoft SANDRA so will see what comes up!

Thanks for your suggestion, will post back and let you know what happens!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…