Compaq re-build.

milkybarkid 20:03 12 Oct 04

I have bought a Compaq laptop off of a pal but it is in a bit of a mess. It has two copies of Windows loaded onto the C drive 1)XP Pro, and the other 2)Windows Whistler Professional? Never heard of it!! Not much of all the other loaded software works very well either and there are files scattered everywhere.

I do have all the various CD's that it came with so my thoughts are to reformat the drive and start again. However, it does not have a proper copy of XP Pro but a couple of Compaq system recovery CD's. It does have an XP Pro product key label on it, so can I reformat it and use an XP Pro disk together with the existing product key to start the re-build?

Any other comments would be appreciated.

howard60 20:40 12 Oct 04

it might work if the version of xp is the same as yours. the cd key varies with the versions ie a single pc version will not accept the cd key of a workgroup version. You should if it is a genuine copy be able to reinstall from the recovery disks and put the system back to how it was supplied.

Completealias 20:48 12 Oct 04

You should just be able to use the system recovery cd's I would try this option first.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:50 12 Oct 04

Format C:\ will get rid of current op systems.

However can you use the compaq recovery disks to reinstal the Op system that came with the PC. This will be on a hidden partition.

The recovery disks will format the c: drive and clear all the "junk" so back up anything you want first. It will then instal the OP system and drivers from the hidden partition. (basically an image of the disk when first setup at the factory).

milkybarkid 07:24 14 Oct 04

Recovery disks worked a treat. Never used/trusted 'em before.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…