Compaq Pressario Help needed

Demora 21:26 27 Apr 05

My daughter was happily chatting away on MSN when her laptop froze. Alt+f4 nothing worked, ctrl-alt-del nothing so she turned it off and then waited awhile.

She then turned it on and was greeted with the screen safe mode or normal etc.

She chose normal, winxp seemed to start and then we waited and waited and yep still waited. NOTHING.

I suggested the winxp cd to do a repair. Put it in and went through to 'setup is loading windows. and we're still waiting

Just where do we go from here.

Pressario R3000 2.8 gb. 256 ram 60 gig hdd on board ATI grafix and sound

TIA

D

woodchip 21:40 27 Apr 05

You could copy Chkdsk.exe onto a floppy disc. this is in the C:\Windows\System32 Folder. Then get a Win98 boot disc from click here Put a floppy in comp double click the downloded file it will create the boot disk. start with disc, then at A:\ put the other floppy in computer and type Chkdsk.exe C: So it looks like this.

A:\Chkdsk.exe C: then press enter

Demora 21:44 27 Apr 05

erm Sorry no floppy drive

D

Demora 10:55 28 Apr 05

Hi

We have managed to get into winxp. But the main problem seems now to be the pcmcia WiFi card. a Belkin 54g

If its in the bay windows just won't load. Having uninstalled this and re tried the thing still doesn't work and it freezes up the whole pc.

I am getting an error message if I click the Belkin icon saying something about the wrong driver (this is if the card insn't in bay)

We did an uninstall and re booted and then installed the Belkin from the cd again but the same happens.

Any input would be really apprieciated.

TIA
D

Methedrine 14:28 28 Apr 05

What error message are you getting?

Methedrine 18:53 29 Apr 05

I think Demora has gone.

Demora 19:01 29 Apr 05

No I'm still here.

Been trying to sort it and Finally success.

We reinstalled the drivers and then noticed that the network bridge for the 10/100 ethernet had been enabled. Disabled that and did a system restore back to the 19th March and Yey.

All is well.

Thanks guys for the input and guidence

D

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced