Compaq Presario OSD lock-on won't cancel

TopCat® 22:39 05 Aug 08

The above computer has the message window "OSD Lock-on" constantly coming on at the centre of the screen, followed by a rapid animated Menu box that auto runs itself through the options. It then suddenly disappears for a couple of seconds before reappearing. The OS installed is XP.

I've checked for sticking buttons on the flat panel monitor and all three seem OK. Looking in Device Manager/Hardware I see it has a Radeon card which is listed twice. Checking further it shows two identical monitors listed as well. I've tried uninstalling one then both of the monitors but they reappear when the computer is rebooted.

Any suggestions on how to fix this problem will be gratefully received. TC.

MAT ALAN 23:01 05 Aug 08

The OSD can be enabled or disabled by pressing and holding the Menu button on the front panel for 10 seconds. If the OSD is locked, the warning message OSD Lock displays for ten seconds.

* If the OSD is locked, press and hold the Menu button for 10 seconds to unlock the OSD.
* If the OSD is unlocked, press and hold the Menu button for 10 seconds to lock the OSD.

ashdav 23:15 05 Aug 08

The double installation re. Radeon cards is normal as they cater for two displays.

TopCat® 00:37 06 Aug 08

This is a neighbour's machine sited in a bedroom and a dirtier one I've never set eyes on. The whole thing is real grotty with its case air vents nigh on blocked over and a veritable 'lawn' of yuck growing up between the keyboard keys. Talk about trying to be helpful!

Anyway, I think there is more to this screen problem than what it appears. I'm guessing it could be an internal fault behind the menu button on the monitor. Maybe, for example, there's a membrane microswitch fault behind that menu button. Unless someone knows different of course.

I think I'll tactfully suggest a good PC and monitor cleanup first before proceeding any further. That at least should cure any overheating problems it may have. Anyone agree with this idea? TC.

TopCat® 18:00 06 Aug 08

as I am concerned. The guy has decided to dump this old computer and get a new one. Everything cured at a stroke! I only hope he takes on board the need for an appropriate de-dust and clean up from time to time.

Thanks anyway for your help, guys. TC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…