Compaq Presario C500 Graphics Card

lemonheadron 11:39 14 Jun 07

I just bought a Compaq Presario c500 laptop. It comes with 256 of shared graphics memory. Is there anyway I can increase this? Ideally buying a graphics card (does anyone know of any that fit?) or if I increase the overall memory will this increase the amount shared to graphics?

Any help very much appreciated.

keef66 12:00 14 Jun 07

I don't think you can (economically) fit a graphics card in a laptop.

Adding more memory will increase the memory available to the rest of the system; the graphics will continue to use up to 256mb

Totally-braindead 12:19 14 Jun 07

You cannot fit a graphics card to a laptop. If the BIOS allows it you MIGHT be able to increase the amount of system RAM the graphics can use but other than that you are stuck with what you have.

Totally-braindead 12:36 14 Jun 07

Increasing the overall memory will not, unless the BIOS allows it, increase the memory to the graphics.
I think you will find that 256mb is probably the max you can get the graphics to take.

A-Nonymous 12:39 14 Jun 07

256mb is a pretty good amount of graphics memory. It will play a lot of the latest games. 256mb is usually the most you can get on a laptop unless you pay a lot of money!

you can install an external graphics card, use it for gaming and unplug it when you need mobilty
click here

keef66 13:18 14 Jun 07

Blimey!! Mind you, it says it's $600 which will probably mean £400 over here in ripoff Britain. I'g get an Xbox 360 instead.

lemonheadron 13:22 14 Jun 07

Wow the external graphics card looks ace! though I might wait until prices drop before considering.
256 should be enough to play most stuff on my laptop but the performance is shocking (I've done all the defrags and stuff, it's nothing like that) With it being shared mem, it wont have all the performance tweaks of a seperate GPU will it? like the latest shader abilities and stuff? My lapytop struggles to play the most basic of 3d software...???

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017