//some 3rd party need geo

Compaq Presario 2240 with Win95 O/s

Giggle n' Bits 00:35 23 Jan 03
  Giggle n' Bits 00:35 23 Jan 03

Been pased on a partly working desktop PC that won't boot into windows at all, someone said who passed it on it was a broken motherboard, but would this stop you from getting to the Options for Starting in Safe mode, Command prompt etc, etc?.

Compaq Restore disk won't restore, CD Drive will run it to the starting screen but thats it.

Then theres messeges windows has damged files or registry.

Anyone know how to progress or do a scan/fix in the boot up screen as it hangs at Win 95 splash screen.

SafeHaven 01:33 23 Jan 03

If you go to Microsoft website you can download the boot disks and try that but you may need 95 cd to reinstall

Giggle n' Bits 00:33 24 Jan 03

The computer will no way start in Safe Mode, It wants to run Scandisk but when getting to the "File Allocation" line it seems to just hang and gives up" There is a warning that the HDD is damaged at this stage. So Is this a true warning that can be trusted ?.

I atempted to Format the HDD which results in a Skipping of the percentage from say where it would normally go a smooth 1%, 2% etc it goes from say 22%, 65% really quick then after completing the Format it says HDD format was not possible.

Can someone please confirm If this is just a HDD that is Kaput as I don't mind spending on a new HDD installing my old O/s of 98.

If its more seriuos I wouldn't spend the money.

The rest of the computer is clean looking and has a bios date of 97 or 98. Typical Compaq branded, so Motherboard ID isn't possible and case sytle stops a M/board replacement.

Thanks SafeHaven, Wish I was safe on this one!.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…