compaq presario 1200 help

rod45 18:41 05 Oct 07

Hello, new here looking for some advice ive just aquired a compaq presario 1200 and would like to know if i would be able to install windows xp on it at the moment its running windows 98, and would it be possible and not too expensive to install a faster processor

brundle 22:27 05 Oct 07

Get this click here, paste back the entries in the Computer/Summary page (only need the Computer and Motherboard sections) .

A quick search suggests it is underpowered for XP, and changing CPUs is generally not possible with laptops.

skidzy 23:02 05 Oct 07

I had a similar issue with an old Dell Latitude XPS,similar spec to yours (possibly)

This would have been a total waste of time to even try to upgrade to xp,just as brundle suggests.

You best bet if attempting to upgrade,will be to add more ram and windows 98se,i guess this will be your limit.Remember 98/98se is not supported any longer.

As brundle says,run Everesthome and post back the asked details,but i do think you are very limited.

josie mayhem 00:08 06 Oct 07

Not sure where the 1200 lay's... But a good measure to weather xp will work,is look at the memory... XP likes 512mb memory, I have the 3000r ( I think) and it has 512mb's but sadley this is shared with grapics... So realisticaly this measures up to having 312mb's of ram to use the system!?

If I was you I would check what ram/memory that I've already have installed. plus what memory/ram that I can install... If you can reach (with checking how much your graphics is going to pinch) If in total I couldn't get over the 312mb I wouldn't bother trying... At this point I would like to point out that 512mb's of rem/ram shared with graphics.. with 3g processor and it's slow to boot up....

Hope this give food for thourght

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…