Compaq old laptop not booting off XP disk??

daniellabell 23:07 04 Sep 09

hello everybody! my friend has a Compaq presario 700 which is quite old and is therefore very slow. Im trying to get it to boot off an XP disk so i can reinstall XP but even though the bios says it should boot off the 'cdrom' it actually wont? the drive says it is a DVD Rom drive but it isn't recognising the XP disk, please can anyone help me as to what i can do?

woodchip 23:14 04 Sep 09

Only thing I can suggest is you download Startup Discs Six in all Floppy discs that you create using this download. click here after download. You need six clean floppy discs put one in the drive then double click the download, mark each disc as you make them. After Creating Disacs start computer with first floppy in drive and the XP CD in its drive then follow it through

daniellabell 23:16 04 Sep 09

Thanks, that sounds a bit complicated...is it please?

woodchip 23:23 04 Sep 09

just follow what I said, Print it off so you can follow it

Quiet Life 18:54 05 Sep 09

Many years ago I twice tried the 6 floppy boot system but it could never read all the discs without coming up with an error.
As you are trying to boot from the CD I presume your operating system is dead otherwise you could open the CD in XP and click on the execute file in the CD.
The fact it cannot boot may be due to the fact it might just be an XP update disc which needs a previous version of Windows.
If you have an XP disc and serial number and can borrow a similar disc you could use that with your serial number. If you have XP Home then their is no use trying with XP Pro

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac