Compaq laptop mouse query

Totally-braindead 18:01 24 Sep 05

A friend of mine has a Compaq Armada M700 laptop and he uses it with an external mouse. Recently he damaged the integrated mouse built in to the middle of the keyboard and now the pointer veers off all the time, interfering with his external mouse.

The question I hope someone can answer is this, replacing the integrated mouse pointer is of course an option but he'd rather not have to dismantle it and of course there is the expense of buying a new part. Does anyone know of a way to totally disable the integrated mouse so he can just use an external one. I've had a look using MSCONFIG to see if theres something I can disable but it not listed there. Does anyone know if it can be done?

Chegs ® 18:27 24 Sep 05

With my IBM laptop,there is a facility called "Thinkpad Configuration" in the systray.It allows me to enable/disable various items,infra red,track point[mouse]display cfg,etc

woodchip 18:29 24 Sep 05

You may be able to stop it loading in MSCONFIG from run

Chegs ® 18:57 24 Sep 05

click here

Screenshot of my laptops cfg utility.You should have a similar sort of thing for yours.If not,perhaps a trawl thru Compaq site for anything similar(I had to d/l a few drivers for my Compaq desktop a few years back,they are listed as "SoftPaq's")

Totally-braindead 19:24 24 Sep 05

Thanks for that guys. Unfortunately the Compaq doesn't appear to have anything like the Thinkpad software. I've looked in MSCONFIG but can't see anything at all that resembles software for the built in mouse. I've also had a look at the BIOS but the only thing in there is the ability to allow 2 pointing devices, which is what its doing now or the ability to use the onboard mouse only. If it had the ability to use the external mouse only that would solve my problem but unfortunatly theres nothing there. I'll go have a look for anything listed as Softpaqs and post back.

Chegs ® 19:30 24 Sep 05

click here software for m700.

Totally-braindead 19:39 24 Sep 05

I'm downloading and trying the Easy Access Buttons software and will see if that will allow me to disable the mouse.

Totally-braindead 19:52 24 Sep 05

No luck, any other ideas?

Chegs ® 20:05 24 Sep 05

Was about to point out that EAK is for the keyboard,not the mouse.If you are seriously fed-up of the laptops mouse giving you grief,you could always buy a USB notebook mouse.I have had a tiny Mitsumi optical mouse for years,bought to replace a previous wireless desktop mouse that was bugging me by playing "hide&seek" behind various windows,resulting in my having to click a button to get it to show and frequently closing the item on the desktop,losing all my typed info. :-)

woodchip 20:12 24 Sep 05

In BIOS disable 2 pointing devices

Totally-braindead 20:13 24 Sep 05

Thanks Chegs ® but as I said already I've tried other mice, including as it happens a USB one. The problem is that I need some way to disable the onboard mouse to stop it interfering with any mouse I plug in.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…