Compaq Ipaq - how do I identify the model ?

greybeard 22:46 22 Nov 05

I've just acquired a second user Compaq Ipac pc with no cdrom drive. In order to find one, I need to identify which ipaq I have. Can anyone help please?
It's silver and black, two usb ports on the`front and six on the back, along with the usual serial/parallel ports etc.
Underneath is a chassis(?) code 217127-002. There is also a compaq barcode 8141JDVZ000B.
The only info I can find (on ebay) is of a "multibay x24 cdrom drive 165864-B21"
I need to know if all/most/some of these slimline drives will fit my pc.

keewaa 22:50 22 Nov 05

I'd guess that Belarc advisor should give you enough info :
click here

greybeard 23:06 22 Nov 05

keewaa -thanks for the link, but I suspect a slight problem.
Isn't the Belarc download to test the pc that you're downloading to ?
And as the ipaq system has no removable drive, I can't upload anything to it !!!!!!!!

greybeard 23:08 22 Nov 05

......and it isn't online !!!!

greybeard 23:15 22 Nov 05

...it's got a machine control program running in it for a cnc I'm building. I've got the software on cd and floppy supplied with the pc, and I want to do a clean re-install. It's got 98se, but that's about all.
While I could lash up an external floppy, an external cd might be another matter ( but possible). If the system crashes, I could be up the proverbial.

greybeard 21:18 23 Nov 05

Anyone with a compaq ipaq at all ?????

greybeard 22:41 23 Nov 05

It's not even a laptop - it's a desktop system !

Totally-braindead 22:51 23 Nov 05

Have a look here click here and here click here

Totally-braindead 22:53 23 Nov 05

Not being funny here, I know some PCs made by particular manufacturers are set up so they can't use standard parts but couldn't your PC just take a standard CD rom drive?

anchor 09:52 25 Nov 05

Are you sure that it is an Compaq Ipaq PC?.

The Compaq desktop PC & notebook models were usually called presarios, and their pocket PC`s were Ipaq`s.

wee eddie 10:12 25 Nov 05

Compaq tend change the name of the product, depending on the retailer that orders them, but you haven't said that it works.

How about clicking the My Computer > Properties while on your Desktop

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…