Compaq EVO and Loading Windows XP

Andy199 23:11 18 Feb 07

Hi,

Can you help me with this problem, I have been given a copy of Windows XP and a Compaq EVO bought from The Computer Warehouse - ex corporate and Lease stock and have been asked to install Windows XP pro. When installing XP it reports it cant find a hard drive. (It is there and working) in DOS I cant go back any further that c:(Windows) I get a message - not a valid command see HELP for valid commands. I think this is some sort of security feature so corporate users cant just overwrite the C drive?? Can you tell me how to remove this so I can install a fresh copy of Windows XP. The old version on the HD is shot to bits.

Thanks

Andy

Ex plorer 01:56 19 Feb 07

Hi is the CD ROM working ok check the IDE cable and power connection.
Can you play any music on the CD ROM is set at master.
Do you want to completely wipe all that’s on your Hard drive? if so downloads KILLDISK from
click here
and onto a floppy disk, reboot your PC with the floppy in the drive and follow on screen instructions this will completly remove all on the hard drive.
Then reformat the drive, XP should do that for you NTFS.
You say you have been given XP is it new, if not I am not sure how you will load it onto the drive if you don’t know the history of that disk.
I have my own XP and had to load it 3 times onto the same PC for different reasons and you have to get in touch with Microsoft for a new key I also was asked how many times it had been used in the past.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…