Compaq Deskpro PIII & Win98Se Major problems

Giggle n' Bits 19:10 09 Feb 05

Hi, Having problem getting the computer to boot into windows 98SE. It starts up and the desktop picture shows then a small dialouge box comes up "Explorer caused error and will now close" you can only click on Close then nothing no icons of start just a dekstop picture.

I have tried F8 and command prompt to scanreg /fix & also tried scanreg /restore and also tried the compaq recover CD which tells me these Compaq Qucik restore error: because of the following:-
1. Quick Restore CD not in Drive
2. Quick Restore not desinged for this machine
3. System Board replaced
4. Flash Bios is corrupt or has been re-written
5. A Hardware error has occured

The computer had since day 1 a 3D Righteous Orchid PCI card added to the Onboard VGA link with a cable on rear

Also a new Modem & CD Wrtr and also has Norton System works 2005 installed.

Is there anyway to recover windows ? Can anyone suggest how I can try and get it put right please.

FelixTCat 19:13 09 Feb 05

Can you boot into safe mode, or does the same falt occur?

Giggle n' Bits 19:16 09 Feb 05

Oh, sorry forgot to mention I have also tried booting into Safe Mode and the same occurs. The only thing that does work is the windows tune.

mattyc_92 19:17 09 Feb 05

Have you got the Win98SE installation disk??? If so re-install windows over itself and this should solve it...

Giggle n' Bits 19:20 09 Feb 05

and also happen to have a Genuine Windows 98Se CD. Will installing the Geniune 98SE Cd over be ok. Can you please confirm. Ta also FelixTCat & mattyc_92

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…