//some 3rd party need geo

Compaq Armada M700

Kazzabeee 21:41 21 Apr 06

Hi

I've been given a laptop which won't boot up properly. The error code (c0000135) indicates that Windows XP Service Pack 2 needs to be removed. I've tried botting up from a Windows XP CD - no joy. I've also tried pressing F8 to get to the Windows XP start up menu but all that happens is I eventually reach a blue screen with C0000135 error message. There's no floppy disk drive with it.

Any ideas anyone? Many thanks in anticipation.

Karen

VoG II 22:00 21 Apr 06
  Kazzabeee 22:17 21 Apr 06

I've already printed out that page. My problem is that I can't get anywhere near Windows XP to get into the Control Panel or even start the computer in safe mode or get a command prompt to start the Recovery Console. I've changed the boot up sequence so it should boot from the CD drive but nothing happens, other than the Windows XP Professional screen and finally the blue screen with C0000135 message. There's no floppy drive with the laptop and I assume an external USB floppy drive wouldn't work until I get into Windows.

If I could somehow get a command prompt, I'd quite happily reformat the hard drive and put an older version of Windows on it to make sure the laptop was working and worth investing the price of a new Windows XP CD.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:47 21 Apr 06

I've tried botting up from a Windows XP CD - no joy.

Did you set BIOS to boot from CD as first boot device?

Kazzabeee 23:07 21 Apr 06

I've set the multibay device as the first bootup device but no joy. I can hear the CD disk whirring around like it does but no message to press any key to boot from CD ROM. Unfortunately the hard disk drive doesn't have the same connection as my external 2.5" hard disk otherwise I'd format it as a system disk and copy Windows over to the hard drive.

I can't understand why pressing F8 to get to the Windows XP startup menu doesn't work.

I suppose there's a good chance the laptop is actually knackered but it'd be good to get it working. I only got it yesterday. It hasn't cost any money.

Regards
Karen

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:17 22 Apr 06

There's no floppy drive with the laptop and I assume an external USB floppy drive wouldn't work until I get into Windows.

I've set the multibay device as the first bootup device but no joy.

Check BIOS (or boot menu) to see if you can set USB device as first boot.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:30 22 Apr 06

There's no floppy drive with the laptop and I assume an external USB floppy drive wouldn't work until I get into Windows.

I've set the multibay device as the first bootup device but no joy.

Check BIOS (or boot menu) to see if you can set USB device as first boot.

Kazzabeee 17:17 22 Apr 06

The only options are hard disk, multibay and network.

Regards
Karen

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…