compaq armada boot problem

delantero 16:40 19 Aug 05

Hi, in UK for the summer and a friend lent me his laptop to use while I am here. It is a Compaq Armada M700 running XP service Pack 2. Anyway, it has been giving me a few problems now and again but now it comes up with the following message before booting: "PXE EC8 - PXE structure not found in UNDI driver code segment" after that it says "Non system disk or disk error".
Anyone any ideas on what could be wrong?
Cheers

Diodorus Siculus 16:45 19 Aug 05

Does it boot at all now?

Diodorus Siculus 16:50 19 Aug 05

Seems to be a BIOS problem... have you tried to do anything with the BIOS or has the machine been interupted with booting?

# Close list PXE-EC8: !PXE structure was not found in UNDI driver code segment.

* The UNDI ROM image has probably been corrupted, or has not been initialized by the BIOS. This error is most often caused by one of three things: A .NIC image was programmed into a BIOS when a .LOM image should have been used.

* The memory allocated by the POST Memory Manager ($PMM) during PXE option ROM initialization has been corrupted or erased before PXE option ROM boot.

* The UNDI_Loader structure was not properly initialized during option ROM initialization.

Boot Agent Messages
"The Boot Agent could not locate the needed PXENV+ structure. An incorrect flash image is installed or the image has become corrupted. Try to update the flash image."
click here

delantero 17:39 19 Aug 05

Thanks for the reply. I also came across these pages thanks to a google search but no idea what to do next. I agree it could be a bios problem (or maybe the hard drive has died??) but any ideas on anything I could try. When I turn on the computer I am given the option to enter the set up program (this did'nt happen before). Can I do anything from there? If I don't enter there an F appears at the top right hand corner of the screen. If I press any key the same two messages as before come up and nothing else happens. Thanks for any advice

Diodorus Siculus 18:27 19 Aug 05

click here

Flashing the bios may help... but not to be recommended unless a last resort. Someone else may have an idea.

delantero 18:36 19 Aug 05

Cheers Diodorus. May keep that option as a last resort, hopefully someone may know something that can help.

delantero 11:11 20 Aug 05

Hi again. Thought I'd put this to the top to see if anyone can help before taking the laptop for repair. Anyone help??????? Is flashing the bios a) difficult b)dangerous??? Thanks in advance!!

Diodorus Siculus 13:02 20 Aug 05

It's not as risky as it once was...

If you have the correct BIOS downloaded from the compaq / hp site, and follow their instructions, it should be ok.

Have a look for some info on the site before going any further.

Diodorus Siculus 13:03 20 Aug 05

Software and Drivers - download System ROMPaq (BIOS), 686H_2001.1129 A2
click here

delantero 10:58 21 Aug 05

Thanks again Diodurus. Sorry for the delay in responding, I have to go to sister's to access internet. I'll have a look now and let you know how I get on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…