is this company any good??

jgosden 18:08 12 Mar 04

click here

i have been told that hydra host are good and what they other is amazing, however i made the same mistake last time and don't want to do it again. Have you heard of this company?? Do they look any good??

they certainly seem to offer a lot, but looks can be deceptive!!

Taran 18:51 12 Mar 04

At first glance they do seem impressive.

However, any host offering "unlimited" MySQL databases is either stupid or has so many PHP/MySQL features disabled that the database[s] would not be usable or useful for most purposes.

Have you read their AUP [Acceptable Use Policy] and TOS [Terms Of Service] ?

About the first thing listed on both pages is this:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: *All Payments To Hydra-Host.net Are Non-Refundable*

Not too inspirational really.

Having read some of the AUP and TOS I, personally, have my doubts. Without going into too much detail I can see a few points listed in those two documents that I wouldn't be happy about.

For the record, I've had very good service over the last few years from Easily click here , 2020 Media click here and 1&1 click here

If you are working to a budget, Easily offer very good value with their Virtual hosted and Enhanced Virtual [for MySQL] hosted accounts.

The hosts I currently use in general all charge around the same as 2020 and 1&1 and when it comes to good hosting you can't argue with that amount.

I wouldn't mind seeing a phpinfo printout from one of the domains offered by Hydra-Host. I suspect you'll find that most of the useful features are not available.

I repeat, any host that offers "unlimited" MySQL databases is either stupid or has effectively crippled them for use. Can you imagine how much data I could fling around with unlimited databases at my beck and call ?

jgosden 18:55 12 Mar 04

thats a good point, actually i thought that it was too good to be true, but at a first glance it looked pretty good,

Forum Editor 22:23 12 Mar 04

I'm a little worried about the AUP and TOS offered by Hydra Host. Both documents are written in such a way that the company has virtually unlimited power to suspend or discontinue your account at its sole discretion. Commercial transactions are a two-way street, and I expect to see a web host telling me what it will do for me, as well as warning me about how much it will fine me if I transgress.

I know nothing of this company, and certainly have no personal axe to grind - I have no reason to doubt their efficiency - but I wouldn't personally commit to a hosting agreement based on such terms and conditions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…