compact flash card problem

heepster 15:31 19 Mar 04

I have formatted a 128 meg compact flash card through a card reader on a machine running XP. Now my camera doesnt recognise the card. I have done this previously on a machine running ME with no problem. Have I ruined it? I have tried reformatting on the ME machine, but it doesnt work on the camera still. Camera is a Minolta 7I.

Mat2 15:50 19 Mar 04

Hi

Have you tried to format the card in your camera?

recap 15:50 19 Mar 04

There should also be an option to Scandisk the card, give this a try it may help?

heepster 15:53 19 Mar 04

Tried scandisk and also formatting in the camera, but the camera doesnt recognise the fact that the cards there!

Mat2 16:00 19 Mar 04

Have you tried a different card in the camera, to see if it recognise that?

anchor 16:15 19 Mar 04

The standard advice is to ALWAYS format cards in camera. Numerous warnings have been given in these forums that formatting the way you did it could make the card unusable in the camera.

Assuming that your camera recognises a different card, I fear that your 128mb compact flash card will never be any use in your camera. If the camera fails to recognise the new card, then its a different matter altogether.

You may still be able to use it for a different purpose; namely as a portable storage device via your card reader.

heepster 16:19 19 Mar 04

Well I tried a differnt card in the camera and that is ok. So I guess I have ruined it......Oh dear!Thanks everyone

woodchip 16:20 19 Mar 04

You should never format Memory cards on a computer only done in the camera

woodchip 16:22 19 Mar 04

There should not ever need to be formated other than when you first buy them. After that you just delete pictures

hssutton 16:26 19 Mar 04

I format more often than not using XP_Pro without problem, If I remember correctly the Minolta C/F should be formatted using the File System, Fat, did you inadvertently format as Fat 32, if so try again making sure that you select Fat in the drop down box.

A lot of people will tell you that you must not format your camera flash cards using the PC, but if you pay attention to what file system you are using there should not be any problem.

heepster 16:42 19 Mar 04

Thank you all and especially hsutton, you were dead right. Have now fornmatted in FAT instead of FAT32 and it works fine. Phew! I almost threw it away!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…