compact digital camera

woody147 15:44 11 Dec 03

I'm looking for an ultra-compact digital camera which is slightly better than a simple 'point and shoot' holiday snapper, while still being fairly easy to use, for about £250-£350. So far i've narrowed it down to either the pentax optio S4, the casio exilim EX-Z4 or the canon digital IXUS 400. All the reviews rave about each because they're 'small and good looking' but i was wondering which one actually takes the best pictures :-)

johnnyrocker 15:47 11 Dec 03

have a look at the reviews in this months pc advisor.

toxin 16:23 11 Dec 03

Hi Woody!

Checkout the reviews at Steves-digicams,imaging resource,and dpreview. All are very thorough and some even give sample pics.

If you want a camera that's a bit more advanced, have a look at the Olympus C-740 currently £300 @ Jessops.

Hope this helps, Toxin

IClaudio 16:31 11 Dec 03

I've just bought the Canon PowerShot A70 from click here - about £240 and a lovely piece of kit. This month's PCW (shhh...) gives the A80 best buy, the difference is, it's 4megap and just a few quid more.

GroupFC 16:52 11 Dec 03

I have the Canon A70 and agree with IClaudio - it is a very good camera.

One piece of advice - go to a good camera shop such as Jessops and actually handle the different cameras! When I did this the three that had been on my "potential buy" list quickly got scrubbed!

A couple of useful review sites for you are click here and click here

Good Luck!

john-232317 17:11 11 Dec 03

HP HP HP magic cameras and software.

But then it is the only digi camera i have had, so like GroupFC says "hands on test" take a pic in the shop.

ripvan 18:35 11 Dec 03

woody,i have the original ixus1 and it really is an excellent camera.It is metal bodied and fits in your pocket .Good software and all leads also has a lithium ion battery which unlike nicads can be recharged any time as they don't have a 'memory'.You can buy extra ones from for about £15 aswell as extra memory cards at the best prices.Try click here for looking at the many forums on all cameras.

cycoze 19:02 11 Dec 03

I had a good look around a camera shop this week , wanting to buy a sub £200 digital camera for my daughter , got a Fuji as there on offer with free charger , batteries and memory card.

While i was there i was really impressed with the new Kyocera Finecam SL300R , very small and very very quick at taking pictures , the chap who owns the shop has prints from most cameras and the quality looked good , not the shop i went to click here .

Pamy 19:27 11 Dec 03

look at Fugi Finepix F401 Excelent.

woody147 20:02 11 Dec 03

for the info and suggestions guys, has given me a few more ideas! Think i need to go into a camera shop now and check some of these out :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…