comp wont show 2nd hard drive

mattbell1975 20:38 15 Dec 05

hi i have just rebooted my system and the hard drive i had as drive d (just a mass storage) has gone missing it still shows on boot as detected ihave been into setup and set all to auto and the comp has not been touched inside it just doesnt show on my computer? any ideas?
win xp pro

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:02 15 Dec 05

Does it show on the first POST screen?

Start - run - type diskmgmt.msc - enter

Does the drive show in disk management?

Gringo2005 21:08 15 Dec 05

Not to be the bearer of doom, this happened to me but hope yours not same issue

I had this issue on a previous build with xp pro
was running a maxtor 120gb drive for went dead too
wouldn't boot on anything, so sent back as still within 12 months warranty and the drive had died!

There are recovery programs available to restore

Hope you sort pal

mattbell1975 14:19 16 Dec 05

Fruit Bat
Start - run - type diskmgmt.msc - enter done that doesnt show up but it does show up n first boot screen any ideas?

mattbell1975 14:20 16 Dec 05

also on disk management it says disk 1 dynamic unreadable problem is i dont want to format it if poss as it has over 140gig of music and videos on it

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:03 16 Dec 05

disk 1 dynamic unreadable problem

The FIXMBR command lets you repair a master boot record (MBR). The syntax for this command is:

FIXMBR [DeviceName]

If you omit the DeviceName parameter, FIXMBR rewrites the MBR on the boot device. You can specify a device name to write a MBR to a different drive (such as a floppy disk or secondary hard disk). You can use the MAP command to retrieve a list of device names. An example of a valid device name is \Device\HardDisk0.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…