comp turns off

egapup 21:43 02 Jan 08

Hi, Im running a A8N-SLI Delux mobo,AMD Athlon 64 3800 cpu, 1 GB DDR SDram, XP Pro, 650 Watt psu, and a brand new GeForce 8800GTS graphics card. The comp runs fine until I start playing a game, after a few minutes the whole comp just turns itself off......help

€dstowe 21:50 02 Jan 08

More than likely to be overheating.

Check the CPU temperatures. Check that all the fans are running correctly.

Technotiger 21:50 02 Jan 08

Sounds like a over-heating problem - have you checked all fans are spinning up correctly and that your pc has a good clean air-flow throughout front to rear.

egapup 22:00 02 Jan 08

Thanks, yeah all the fans are working fine, do you think it could be a lack of power???

Technotiger 22:06 02 Jan 08

With a 650W PSU power should not be a problem.

If you have only just installed the Graphics card, it might not be seated properly - I would remove it and then make sure it is re-seated firmly in place.

Technotiger 22:12 02 Jan 08

Talking Power - the GTS needs a single connection to your PSU, is this in place? (The GTX needs a double connection to the PSU).

egapup 22:30 02 Jan 08

Yeah the power lead is connected, there is a pci card directly under the graphic card and seeing the card is so big there's hardly any room between them, may-be thats causing it to get to hot.

woodchip 22:34 02 Jan 08

If it's only done it after fitting New Graphics card, try the old one to see if it cures the problem

Technotiger 22:35 02 Jan 08

Have you got a spare PCI slot, if so it might help to separate them a bit.

egapup 22:36 02 Jan 08

OK...Thanks alot, i was worried there wasn't enough power but there must be a over-heating problem somewhere. This is a great sight, thanks for your time and trouble.

Technotiger 22:37 02 Jan 08

Also, has the CPU been touched lately, I'm thinking Thermal Paste - could be the CPU getting too hot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5