Common Interface

themightymac 12:09 29 Oct 07

Just bought a new tv with card slot but didn't realise the Setanta card didn't just slot in without a Cam/CI or whatever they are called. Apart from contacting Setanta and the tv manufacture (I Have), does anyone know for definite where I can pick up a CI.

DieSse 14:37 29 Oct 07

"Just bought a new tv with card slot"

What kind of card slot - a Freeview one?

themightymac 14:56 29 Oct 07

Yes, a freeview for Setanta

DieSse 15:05 29 Oct 07

Then you just get a Freeview card for Setanta. The Setanta website is as clear as can be for this.

CAMs and CIs usually apply to satellite receivers.

If you're trying to get a pirate card, then they're probably referring to a satellite receiver.

themightymac 15:11 29 Oct 07

Sorry, you are wrong and I am most certainly not trying to get a pirate card. If you read my post you will find I have a Setanta card already and Setanta have even told me that I need a Cam. The card does slide in a groove in the slot but makes no contact with anything.

DieSse 15:32 29 Oct 07

I'm not trying to accuse you of anything - just pointing it out.

If you've already got a Freeview Setanta card - then it should just fit any Freeview receiver.

It's incomprehensible that you've got a Freeview TV with a cardslot that a Freeview card doesn't fit into, I would have thought.

Exactly what model TV is it?

I suppose it's just possible the cardslot (or the CAM that should be in there) is an optional extra - but then you'd need to get it the from the TV supplier, surely.

themightymac 15:58 29 Oct 07

It's ok. The make is Beko and it was only introduced in March this year. I have been onto them and they don't supply the cam, believe it or not. It appears that the cam is an optional extra but not supplied by Beko. I've even been to Curry's and they say that they stopped selling cams2/3 years ago. Looks like I'll have to get one off Setanta. Thanks for you input though.

DieSse 16:06 29 Oct 07

Personally I would be tempted to take the TV back and say "not fit for purpose".

You could call here click here and say you are interested in the Setanta package, but your TV needs a CAM fitted - and just listen to what they say about it.

There is a thing about Setanta and CAM here - might help click here

DieSse 16:08 29 Oct 07

Setanta CAM from Argos click here

Quite frankly I'm amazed by the whole situation! What a mess eh?

themightymac 23:28 29 Oct 07

DieSse,

Thanks very much for all your info. I seached high and low for a Cam but you've put me on the right lines. It is a mess but I think it boils down to the Manufacture/Retailer not explaining enough about the functionality of the product. Once again, thanks a lot.

Ian

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5