Common Email accounts across a network

Big Bad Ben 12:15 18 Jun 05

Hi everyone.

We have a small internet based business. I have added a further PC as the business is growing using XP Pro. The network is operating fine with all services to both PC´s. We have our email accounts on the 1st PC (using Outlook 2000). What we would like to do is have common access to the email accounts from both PC´s, for example if a message comes into our info address both PC´s would received a copy. If a message should be sent from our info address again both PC´s would have a copy in the sent file. Before I start digging myself a very large hole to try and solve this have any of you out there got any suggestions??

briggzy 15:43 18 Jun 05

Hi, Microsoft exchange server would do this but the cost would be expensive for such a small setup, you would need a server computer running ms exchange (about 2000 should do it!) you could use a web based mail system instead check out the service provided by your isp or domain hosting provider

Big Bad Ben 17:17 18 Jun 05

Thanks for that, I was hoping that there was an easier way of doing this, I have Microsoft Server 2003 Enterprise Edition with 5 user licences which came as part of a deal last year but after going through a very steep learning curve and many sleeples nights with NT Server 4 in the mid ninties I really did not want learn yet another server technology.

BigMoFoT 11:17 20 Jun 05

Depending on the type of email account (I say this as if you have a new hotmail account then you won't be able to access it via outlook or OE) you can add multiple email addresses to an outlook configuration. The only downside I can see here is that 2 people may respond to the same email. However this may also be the case with an exchange server although you will have the option of setting permissions i.e. one person can have access on a view only basis and the other has the rights to reply.
In the long run exchange/domain will be the answer if you continue to grow however I see no reason why you can't manage with Outlook - depending on your needs of course...

BigMoFoT 11:19 20 Jun 05

Is an ideal setup and is a lot more stable and reliable compared to NT4 (Trust me I've been there as well!) For exchange 2003 with 5 cal your probablt tallking around £500...

BigMoFoT 11:23 20 Jun 05

Meant Server 2003 - It's monday morning what can I say!!!

BigMoFoT 11:25 20 Jun 05

Meant Server 2003 - It's monday morning what can I say!!!

Big Bad Ben 13:48 20 Jun 05

Thanks for you advice, I think I already knew the answer to this one when I posted it, but hoped that someone out there had a simple answer, suppose it is now on to Server 2003.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5