//some 3rd party need geo

commmand.com

pinkbrick 15:46 26 Feb 03

dear all
i am running 98se with all the bits. i am a little new. i have tried to make a recovery disc but get the message can't find command.com insert disc. have done, still can't find it. what is it? what do i have to do?
Also if you don't mind, i have lost the function of my numeric keys at the top of the keyboard. number pad works OK.??

Thanks

Taran 16:08 26 Feb 03

To begin with, you could try manually searching for COMMAND.COM

It should be on your C: drive, but you may have to make it visible by opening up your Control Panel, click on Folder Options, select the option to Show hidden files and folders and click Apply then OK.

Assuming your computer is starting properly, COMMAND.COM should be there because there is a line in AUTOEXEC.BAT ("COMSPEC=C:\PATH") that goes looking for it when you computer loads up, assuming in this example that your COMMAND.COM is on C:

To begin with, before you do anything else, I'd click Start, click Run the type the following:

sfc

then click OK.

Insert your Windows CD and scan for any altered, changed or otherwise missing or molested files. There's a nice tutorial on System File Checker at this link click here

I don't think you can rule out a hardware fault with your keyboard, but try running SFC before you do anything else and see what comes up.

Regards

Taran

TBH1 16:11 26 Feb 03

this is a DOS program - - think its a folder where all DOS commands are kept. If you do a FIND on yor C drive for it and double click it, should put you into a little DOS window - -then type "dir" and you should se all your little commands

pinkbrick 16:27 26 Feb 03

am going to run sfc. looking for command.com.
is this anything to do with the fact that i do not have the utility to make a recovery disc?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…