Comments about this Forum

Michendi 19:48 24 Nov 04

This Forum is not very well supported. For example only 4 postings today, 3 yesterday and 4 on Monday - that makes 11 for the week!! Why? For starters WebDesign Forum is a misnomer - this Forum is not specifically for Web designers, so perhaps WebDeveloper Forum may be more appropriate? How can we make this Forum better supported amongst our fellow web-designer/developer colleagues?

Taran 22:13 24 Nov 04

Equally, there are limited hours in the day where those able to answer questions may be in a position to respond.

For my own part, I have a living to earn, students to teach, the various facets of my own IT business to run, one or three programming projects of my own on the go at any one time, I am also heavily involved with a metallurgy technical forum and, well, I imagine most other people are similary involved with their own life.

There are periods where this particluar forum enjoys a very healthy number of posts, and there are others when things go a bit quiet.

As long as there is a broad diversity of questions being asked I can't see any great problem, provided PC Advisor are prepared to continue to allow us the benefit of the WebDesign forum of course.

Off the top of my head this forum has covered FTP clients, WYSIWYG editors, JavaScript, ASP, PHP, MySQL, ColdFusion, .NET, JSP, FrontPage (98, 2000, 2002 (XP) and 2003), Dreamweaver, GoLive, NetObjects Fusion, XML, XHTML, HTML, CSS, DTD's, .htaccess files, web server manipulation, web server selection based on requirements, e-commerce, payment processing, image optimisation, file upload issues, file and folder permissions, and, well, you get the idea...

This is and probably always will be the place people come who want to learn about web design, but they invariably want to learn about it when they have a problem that needs resolution, or whent hey are just starting out.

Personally I don't see a problem with that formula. Perhaps I've somehow misunderstood you though.

barryoneoff.co.uk 00:19 25 Nov 04

a great deal of knowledge from this forum. It may be a bit quiet now, but people may have other things on their mind at this time of year.

I dont really think the title has anything to do with it.

Forum Editor 00:27 25 Nov 04

that this is a forum specifically for web designers. We started this section because we detected a demand.....the Helproom was seeing more and more threads related to the design and publication of web sites.

As Taran has already pointed out, we get our busy periods, and they tend to be at weekends, when people have the time to spend experimenting with their web designs. Our forum areas aren't designed to appeal to a particular sector of the computing community - perhaps that's been our strength over the past four years of growth - we aim to try to help everyone, from beginner to expert. All of us have something to learn, no matter what our level of expertise. I've been running a fairly busy IT consultancy for many years, and I've been involved with computers all my working life, but I have certainly learned a good deal through my involvement with this forum.

We seem to cope reasonably well with the demand for help in this area - there are several regular helpers among our forum members, and whether we call ourselves web designers or web developers isn't really important in my view. There's no real line of distinction to draw between the two anyway.

slowhand_1000 18:14 25 Nov 04

barryoneoff I too have picked up more from this forum than anywhere else. If not through asking a question then by reading other peoples posts.

As for it being quiet now and again, well maybe that's because the people who use this forum don't have many problems they can't sort out themselves at the 'quiet times'

Also if members like myself are only occasionally 'dipping their toes' into web design/developing then the questions off those members will be very few. Luckily there are those regular members who are usually here and willing to help.

Apart from my last question a couple of weeks ago it was quite a while since my last post. Though I have had a couple of problems in between, looking through past posts has found the answer to my problems.

What I have noticed though is the number of new members appearing in the postings which always a good sign. So something must be working.

Cheers

slowhand

Simon_P 19:27 25 Nov 04

But the level of expertise and knowledge is nothing less than superb.

Ok so you might have to wait 24 hours for an answer to your question, but when you get a response it will be a good one.

Quality rather than quantity works for me.

There are some truly excellent and expert web minds in here.

It is hard to please all, I have also seen comments about the help room being too fast and threads dropping out of site to quickly!

dth 16:44 30 Nov 04

Number of questions and answers is maybe not the only way to judge things.

I have a small website with no problems as such - but often just read through this forum and have picked up lots of good ideas and suggestions.

murgle 22:02 30 Nov 04

I personally have learnt a lot from the forum. Most of my questions have been answered and many problems have been solved. We are lucky to have people like Taran here, who's advice has always been 100%

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…