Commander Keen DOS

Duncanf 10:16 31 Mar 08

My 6 year old grandaughter's favourite computer game is an old DOS game I had years ago....Secret of the Oracle. For some reason I can't get it started.
I've downloaded the parcel of books on the desktop, extracted the files, installed on the main drive but when I click the 'keen4E.exe' as directed, then press any key, the game doesn't start but returns to the 'keen4E.exe' screen. Can you help please? It's amazing in the world of computer games that Keen takes her fancy!

VoG II 10:27 31 Mar 08

Try running it in compatibility mode click here

Duncanf 10:46 31 Mar 08

Thanks for suggestion VoG™. I've tried various combinations of operating system and display but when I click on the yellow/red MS DOS Install logo it comes up 'invalid program file name.' Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

daxian 12:41 31 Mar 08

hi duncanf...
dos games wont work in xp or compatability mode..
you will need to create a dos boot disk (floppy)then boot the pc from that then type in the commands to run the keen.exe....Dave.

brundle 15:19 31 Mar 08

Use DOSBox click here

DieSse 17:22 31 Mar 08

"dos games wont work in xp or compatability mode.."

Er yes - they can - I have a game that does. And it doesn't even use compatibility mode, it just works.

I don't quite understand what you mean by the "keen4.exe screen" - is that back to Explorer where you started from?

Right click on the keen4.exe file, then choose "Send to Desktop as a Shortcut"

Then right click the shortcut and choose properties.

Make sure the program name is shown correctly, with the path to it, in the Cmd line.

Make sure the Start folder line is also set to the path the program is in.

MAT ALAN 17:43 31 Mar 08

click here

this may help,good luck...

Duncanf 19:48 31 Mar 08

Sorry for late reply...had to go visiting!
Many thanks everybody for helpful hints. Will now try each one in turn.
Actually, daxian, my first game on my first computer was a floppy of Keen!
What I meant, DieSse was I downloaded and unzipped the files to C/keen. When I double clicked that folder it showed a KEEN4E file which, on double clicking showed a blue screen with purple boxes and the command 'Ready...press a key'
That's the actual screen I used to start the programme with. This time, when I press a key, it returns me to the C/Keen folder.
I'll post as soon as there is success!!!!

Duncanf 20:39 31 Mar 08

That's Commander Keen up and running via DOSBOX.
You've made my 6-year old grandaughter and her 69 year old grandad very happy!
Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac