Command.com

TOFF 21:41 21 Apr 03

My computer has just started warning me that it cannot find 'command.com' during boot-up into Windows and suggests that I search for it myself. After a few attempts, the dialogue box closes and Windows continues to load normally. I have found 'command.com' within my Windows subdirectory 'system32'. Should I be concerned? If not, how can I direct my computer to the right location and avoid the annoying warning message?

Giggle n' Bits 21:48 21 Apr 03

not be XP. Feel you have Win95/98/98Se or Me as its a Dos File needed for loading Windows.

Giggle n' Bits 21:50 21 Apr 03

To fix this problem, restart your computer using a startup (boot) disk in drive A, and edit the CONFIG.SYS and/or AUTOEXEC.BAT files.

Move the SET COMSPEC= line so that it is above the NET START command, or remove the
SET COMSPEC= statement and use the SHELL= line in the CONFIG.SYS file.

This may confuse you, just incase please back up your work.

Giggle n' Bits 21:52 21 Apr 03

with which windows you have. Win95 is different to Win98/Me edit.

Switcher 21:58 21 Apr 03

If you have a startup floppy for your OS then boot to the floppy and issue the command sys c: this will ensure that the Three DOS system files including Command.com are placed in the root directory of your Hard drive.

The above applies to Win9X systems and ME.

TOFF 21:15 22 Apr 03

Thanks guys. Now my computer has stopped doing it for no better reason than I can divine it started in the first place. I am sorry not to have said that I have XP, if that makes any difference.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…