Command prompt string

Brusan 12:54 14 Aug 04

I need to remove the 'read only' attribute from a home video. In the Command prompt I can use "attribute -r" but I keep getting 'path not found' amongst other messages. My entry was, "attrib -r\C:Documents and Settings\ERNEST\My documents\My videos\file name. I used the file name with and without quotes and spaces and have permutated every entry. I thought I had it once to read 'incorrect switch - -r' but it was in the same place. With the cd in the drive there is no file path. Help!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:05 14 Aug 04

Why are you trying in Command prompt?
can do in windows --- right click file, select properties atrib are at bottom of tab.

Brusan 12:38 15 Aug 04

Thank you Fruit Bat. When I uncheck the 'read only' box and try to edit, I get the 'Access denied' message. So I am still aiming for the right string in Ms Dos. The annoying thing is I am proficient in Basic and Cpm.

Rob_E 12:48 15 Aug 04

Have you tried using the DOS 8.3 short file/folder names, e.g. "my documents" will be mydocu~1

if you do DIR /X you'll see the short file names. attrib probably doesn't understand the windows long names.

Dorsai 13:25 15 Aug 04

I think Rob_E has the answer. Long filenames are probably the reason it won't work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…