Command Prompt, BIOS, DOS?

graham√ 09:57 25 Oct 03

A recent posting (nods to Legolas) talked of booting to the a: prompt with a boot floppy. How is this different to the Command Prompt?

Is BIOS just another name for setup?

Is MS-DOS the same as DOS?

VoG II 10:05 25 Oct 03

MS-DOS (or DOS) is the acronym for Microsoft Disk Operating System. In Windows XP, the Command Prompt is an emulation of MS-DOS.

BIOS is basic input/output system and is the same as Setup (if you mean like "press DEL to enter Setup").

A:prompt is a command prompt with the directory set to A.

the Basic Input Output System does a little more than just Setup your machine but when told to 'Enter setup' it means enter the Bios so yes the meaning is more or less the same.

MS-DOS is one brand of Disk Operating System, there are others such as PC-DOS. But if you have windows (3.1-9x) then you have MS-DOS installed.

some utilitys that run from a disk (ie Norton) will run your system under PC-DOS.

graham√ 10:17 25 Oct 03

Thanks, it's just that I've been pondering Legolas question click here

I can prt scr into Word with the Command Prompt set to A:, and print from there.

Legolas 10:22 25 Oct 03

Hi graham√ could you explain a bit more what you have done, did you boot into windows or did you boot up to an a: prompt fom a boot up floppy?

graham√ 10:30 25 Oct 03

With Windows open, I select Command Prompt, put any old floppy in and change to A: I know you are going straight to A: prompt when you wish to print, but could the same screen be brought up this way if you typed setup or similar?

Legolas 10:42 25 Oct 03

Hi graham√ Thanks for your interest in this problem I have tried your suggestion and get no result I think much of the problem lies in running XP and having a USB printer.

graham√ 10:51 25 Oct 03

For some reason I couldn't work out the difference, but the simple answer goes back to Djohn. You are in the same screen, but because Windows is not loaded, prt scr won't be available.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…